Thread: Nova Scotia?

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Nova Scotia?

We're considering a week or two in Nova Scotia next summer, following a week near Acadia NP. It's a new area to us - any suggestions?

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You could do Halifax/Peggy's Cove and also PEI (home of Anne of Green Gables).

While we didn't go to Nova Scotia, we really enjoyed PEI and did the New Brunswick side of the Bay of Fundy on our way down to Acadia in the summer of 2014. We took the route to Maine through Campobello Island, which was a pleasant place to spend the day. We will warn you that after a week in PEI and New Brunswick, the crowds in Acadia and Bar Harbor felt oppressive...so much so that we haven't been back to that area of Maine since then, even though I've enjoyed it quite a bit in the past.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

We did a big, long road trip where we did PEI, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, and a bit of Maine. We didn't get to go to the Bay of Fundy, because we came down the Southern coast to get the ferry back to Maine, but we saw a lot!!! What sorts of things are you interested in? We LOVED PEI and Cape Breton Island. Nova Scotia was great, too, but PEI was really special. If I can find my itinerary, I'll post it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Very interesting - I had thought that we'd save PEI for a different trip, but it sounds like maybe it's a must-do. We're interested in history, hiking, maybe a whale trip (we've done one and loved it, but it's not a must do again). Maybe it's time to start reading Anne of Green Gables to the boys.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    You could do Halifax/Peggy's Cove and also PEI (home of Anne of Green Gables).
    That's a combo that I hadn't considered. I'm not sure if Halifax has much of a draw for us on this trip, but I should give it a second look.

Quote Originally Posted by elbert View Post
    While we didn't go to Nova Scotia, we really enjoyed PEI and did the New Brunswick side of the Bay of Fundy on our way down to Acadia in the summer of 2014. We took the route to Maine through Campobello Island, which was a pleasant place to spend the day. We will warn you that after a week in PEI and New Brunswick, the crowds in Acadia and Bar Harbor felt oppressive...so much so that we haven't been back to that area of Maine since then, even though I've enjoyed it quite a bit in the past.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    That's very helpful. We're planning to start in Maine and then head north, but I had considered flip flopping. Guess I won't. We had a similar experience in Yellowstone this year. We loved it, but the crowds were jarring at that point in the trip for us. When we finally made it to Glacier we all took a big long breath.

I'm hopeful that we can dodge a lot of the crowds in Acadia by camping and doing some long hikes in the park. I don't know how realistic that is. I do know that generally once we get far enough down the trail the swarms seem to let up.

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    We did a big, long road trip where we did PEI, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, and a bit of Maine. We didn't get to go to the Bay of Fundy, because we came down the Southern coast to get the ferry back to Maine, but we saw a lot!!! What sorts of things are you interested in? We LOVED PEI and Cape Breton Island. Nova Scotia was great, too, but PEI was really special. If I can find my itinerary, I'll post it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I'd love to see your itinerary. Do you recall how long you stayed? For whatever reason, I had written off PEI for this trip, but now I'm thinking that PEI + Cape Breton Island may be the way to go. We're hoping to get in some long-ish hikes, maybe some water tours, some history, etc. We're not opposed to a few of the typical tourist things, but generally the crowds that they attract get to be a bit much.

I know this thread is from last fall, but I wanted to find out if OP decided to do the trip to Nova Scotia. We are considering going to Nova Scotia/Cape Breton Island this summer. The plan would be to take the ferry from Portland to Nova Scotia, and then maybe also stop in PEI on the way back. We went to PEI a few years ago and loved it so would like to go back. Since our trip to PEI, I've read the entire Anne series with DS2. (I think it took us a year!)

If anyone can share suggestions for Nova Scotia and Cape Breton Island that would be great!
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

I'm the OP. We are going to Nova Scotia, but not until this August. I'm a planner

I'll report back after the trip, but here is our itinerary. We aren't doing PEI, although I'd like to in the future.

Depart Michigan
    Montreal (2 nights)
    Quebec City (2 nights)
    Nova Scotia - Port Greville area (2 nights) - tidal bore rafting, Joggins fossil tour, Cape Chignecto hike
    Nova Scotia -Lunenberg (1 night)
    Nova Scotia -Halifax (2 nights) - Citadel Soldier for a Day experience, art museum, Shakespeare play, busker festival
    Cape Breton - Baddeck (2 nights) - Alexander Graham Bell, kayaking, hiking
    Cape Breton - Meat Cove area (1 night) - hiking
    Cape Breton - Inverness (2 nights) - hiking, music, art
    Drive to Acadia NP, Maine
    Acadia NP - Mount Desert Island Campground (7 nights) - camping, hiking, etc.

I had hoped to do Acadia before Nova Scotia, but the deciding factor was the campground availability. I was able to get a site on the sound, which was a strong preference for us. We'll get up early to hike to dodge the crowds.
    Last edited by ahisma; 05-31-2018 at 10:24 AM.