Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    wendibird22 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Senior dog barking constantly and awake/restless all night. Help!

ETA: I do have a vet appointment for Monday to discuss this too.

Long time no see everyone! I'm back with a question because I know there's a lot of great pet experts here.

We have an 11.5yr old English Springer Spaniel. Male. Had a check up in May and medically he's doing fine. He does have a very large benign fatty tumor on the side of his torso and weak hips so the combination is making it harder for him to get around (can't get up on the couch by himself, struggles with more than 1 or 2 steps). It doesn't seem to cause him any pain. He's always been a needy dog and likes to be where the people are. For years he's liked to sleep where we are...so upstairs on his dog bed (he doesn't sleep in bed with us) or if he's downstairs he wants someone downstairs with him..the couch. Now that he doesn't do stairs any more, he barks until DH or I join him on the couch. That'd be fine, honestly, if he just went to sleep. But at different points throughout the night he wants to move positions, wants down, stands at his full food bowl or water bowl and whines, asks to go outside, wants back up on the couch. Repeat. Needless to say, DH and I are feeling more sleep deprived than when our DDs were babies.

Additionally, he just barks all the time. We can be in the same room, or within eyesight of him in the kitchen and he'll bark until someone joins him on the couch. For the past 3 months I was training for a half marathon and going for runs before work at 5:30 am. I could spend all night on the couch with him and the minute I'd get up to put running clothes on he'd bark. Then he'd bark once I left the house waking up DH and the kids. This morning the 4 of us were downstairs for breakfast and packing lunches and he just stared at us from the couch and barked. Later, when I was the last one home and upstairs finishing my makeup/hair, he just kept on barking.

Any suggestions on what to do? We do have a "bark collar" that emits a noise or a shock that we had when he did this kind of thing as a puppy. We never used the shock setting only the noise and it would work because it was the same tweet sound as the invisible fence. We've tried that again recently but it doesn't seem to help. He'll hear the noise (though we think he's going deaf) and stop the immediate bark but then returns to barking a minute later. I feel like we have a baby that we need to do Cry It Out with but honestly, he'd just keep barking. He'd outlast us and I think he knows it. DH and I both WOH so who knows if he barks all day long or not. We have a 1 acre property so it's not like our neighbors would hear him. Ideally we'd love to get home from work and exercise him to tire him out so he'd sleep all night but with his age and physical weaknesses a walk down the block is about all he can handle.

And yes as I write this all out I think how ridiculous it is that we are taking turns sleeping on the couch with a dog. How did we get here?????
    Last edited by wendibird22; 10-13-2017 at 09:38 AM.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.