Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Home Coming Dance

Hi again! Suddenly, I am raising my DGSs 13 and 14. I've always cared for them a lot and they were my reason for joining this group in 2003, but this is permanent. I'm going to be asking for advise from all of you from time to time! DGS1 is in 9th grade and wants to go to the Home Coming Dance this Saturday. He seems to think that he needs a suit. I think he will be fine in dress pants, dress shirt and tie. I told him to try and befriend a 10th grade boy to be able to find out how it was last year. What do you think?

Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would see if the school has a facebook page, or google the dance and maybe you can find someone's photos from last year? Also- maybe school website has the "attire" for the dance posted?

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The kids at our school almost all wore suits and some definitely accessorized with some style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

MY DD14 just went to Homecoming, she went with her "boyfriend" and he wore a suit, but most of the other boys wore dark pants, shirt and tie. Very few actual suits. DD's boyfriend likes to dress up and they really wanted to look nice, he and his family even borrowed her dress when they went tie shopping.

I would honestly ask around as it probably varies by area.

Based on the Facebook posts, at the 5 high schools around here, suits were NOT typical.

We are in a small midwest city.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I'd look on Facebook as well. We have a mom group page in my town and it's a great resource. Our dance was last weekend and going by pictures I saw, about half the boys wore a suit and the rest were in dress shirts/pants and ties.
    Kris

I will say, have him go with a colored shirt if he doesn't wear a suit, as the colored shirts look a lot dressier than plain white.

I also saw a number of group photo's of boys who went as a group, and their mom's got them all boutonniers which was cute.

Of course, if he is taking a girl, the corsage needs to be ordered asap (and find out what color her dress is).

Since you mentioned that you will be now raising the boys, is it possible to "friend" some of the parents of their friends at school, if you become Facebook friends you will instantly learn SO MUCH about what is going on, the latest trends, what is typical etc,. I'm not sure how much of a generation gap there is between you and their school friends parents, but I'm sure there are many who would be happy to help you out. I can't imagine my x in laws raising my children, but it sounds like you are on top of things (the fact that you use a computer puts you miles ahead!). The boys are lucky to have someone who obviously cares a lot and wants the best for them.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mom2binsd; 11-02-2017 at 03:14 AM.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

❤️ lovely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry the pics are so, big, posted from my phone and have no idea how to resize.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast