WitMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default DD doesn't have a costume yet!

So tomorrow is Halloween, and 7th grade DD doesn't have a costume.

She and a friend were going to go as Harry Potter characters. Well, last week, the friend decided to do something different with another friend (don't even get me started on that situation.) Now DD isn't interested in being Harry Potter anymore (which I can sort of understand). But she CANNOT come up with any other plan. I've offered suggestions, but so far, none have appealed. At this point, the store bought costumes are probably pretty picked over, so it will probably have to be homemade. I am fairly crafty and can sew, so I can make her something- anything- I just need to know WHAT. I have to get the supplies, and stuff, ya' know?!?!?!

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our Target still had a decent selection yesterday afternoon.

Good luck!
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I LOVE the creative DIY costumes out there. I'd just have her start looking by googling "last minute DIY Halloween costumes". There are fabulous options out there that can be made quick and easy!

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I LOVE the creative DIY costumes out there. I'd just have her start looking by googling "last minute DIY Halloween costumes". There are fabulous options out there that can be made quick and easy!
    This is what we did for a party last year for DS1. He ended up going as a Google map. We cut the pin out of poster board, made a duct tape band to hold it on his head and used a t-shirt to put roads and features on. It was cute and easy and he won 1st place .
    Kris

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Our library is having a costume swap. If you don't have one to swap they are $5. I wish I would have known about it before I got DS's cos. Maybe check with your local library? Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

If she is still open to Harry Potter and already has a costume, my son went one year as Harry's friend and went ToT'ing with "Harry" using his invisibility cloak. DS made a contraption to attach to his body that supported a sheer drapy material --- which we picked up at Goodwill-- and "Harry's" ToT'ing bag. People who knew the stories loved the costume.... and at many houses, he got twice the candy. : )

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I donated a bunch last week to a local thrift store associated with a charity. Did you consider the second hand option?

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My 9th grade dd did not have a costume until last night when an idea "came to her." Thankfully we had almost everything we needed for it and the last item we were able to get for under $10 (yellow raincoat from Academy). She is going to be Georgie from It.

I just went to DD3's school costume parade, and there were several really good homemade costumes.

Gum ball machine: just look on Pinterest to see how to do it.

Starbucks barista: get a cheap apron from michaels and use a printable iron transfer to put a logo on it

Starbucks drink: wear clothes the same color as the drink, use iron on transfers for the labeling on the cup, and make a headband into whipped cream topping with tulle and a dowel painted green

Cactus: green shirt with black pipe cleaners stuck to it for the spikes, headband with flowers, and a big plastic flower pot with the bottom cut out hung from suspenders.

Zombie

Sugar skull

Crayon: Big t-shirt with black labeling, painted face, headband with crayon tip

White sheet with holes cut out as a ghost ��

Egg costume with devil horns and devil tail

I'm going as Flo from Progressive, and DH is Jake from State Farm.

WitMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks for the ideas everyone. She ended up going with a group of friends and they had a "theme", so that made it a quick decision. It was a marathon getting it completed in time though. Whew!