Default Wobble/balance board or sensory training to help ADD?

We recently had ODS fully tested and in listening to the psychologist explain various issues I realized that I think DD (12) has inattentive type ADHD (minus the H! She is just the opposite - too chill!) It never occurred to me that her chronic messiness, disorganization, forgetfulness, daydreaming, and general air of "ditsy-ness" could be ADHD because she has always been a good student and gotten good grades. We've been so focused on ODS and his learning issues that I completely missed this one. I haven't had her formally tested and am not sure what/if we will do for that, but I've been reading about non medical interventions hoping to try a few things out informally. I was reading about wobble cushions, balance boards, and other balance training as "brain training" for improving focus in AD(H)D kids and wondering if anyone has tried it or has any insight? She does have some "fidget" or anxiety issues in that she will pick her skin (hangnails, scabs, rough patches) or fiddle with her earrings, in addition to the above issues. I welcome any insight.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you suspect anything, get her tested. It's really the best thing for her. From what I understand with my DD's diagnosis, the official diagnosis is "ADHD" whether the hyperactivity presents or not; it's a big bucket to make it easier to understand.

Barring that, I haven't read about wobble boards or other methods of focus training; mine's 7 and benefits from medication, limited screen time, no food dye, and a full night's sleep. Fresh air, sunshine, and physical activity also seem to show benefits as well ... even something as silly as a random day living room dance party.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

DS1 (8) has ADHD, and without meds he’s super hyper and impulsive. During his ADHD evaluation, the psychologist actually gave DS a wobble seat to sit on since he couldn’t sit still at all. He recommended one for DS for school. However, the meds eliminated the hyperactivity so it’s a non issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    If you suspect anything, get her tested. It's really the best thing for her. From what I understand with my DD's diagnosis, the official diagnosis is "ADHD" whether the hyperactivity presents or not; it's a big bucket to make it easier to understand.

Barring that, I haven't read about wobble boards or other methods of focus training; mine's 7 and benefits from medication, limited screen time, no food dye, and a full night's sleep. Fresh air, sunshine, and physical activity also seem to show benefits as well ... even something as silly as a random day living room dance party.
    It's probably the best thing for her but the going rate here is several thousand and having just paid that for ODS, doubling that cost on a full eval when I'm only just starting to suspect an issue may not be possible. If only psychologists gave a multi child discount! YDS seems to be the exact opposite and trending towards gifted. Then I could get all 3 tested in one swoop!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by calebsmama03 View Post
    It's probably the best thing for her but the going rate here is several thousand and having just paid that for ODS, doubling that cost on a full eval when I'm only just starting to suspect an issue may not be possible. If only psychologists gave a multi child discount! YDS seems to be the exact opposite and trending towards gifted. Then I could get all 3 tested in one swoop!
    I keep forgetting that I'm totally spoiled; my daughter's eval was covered by our insurance. (It would have been at least a grand OOP, but we had the eval in October and she'd seen the cardiologist in May ...)

We didn't have much OOP because we'd met her deductible for the year.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle