almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default When to buy park tickets?

I'm thinking we might be able to slip in a 3/4 day at Volcano Bay in Feb. on our arrival day, but if our flight gets delayed it won't work. We'll be flying from Boston, so in Feb., that's always possible. Can I just buy the tickets when we check into our hotel, or do I need to buy them ahead of time? I'd hate to buy them and then not get there until the afternoon or the next day! The next day we'd be doing both Universal parks with the express pass, and I'm assuming I'll get those ahead of time, but not sure if there is a reason to. The days are anytime ticket days. Any advice?

Thanks!

And I think of Universal at Disney, so hope it's ok to be posting in the disney thread!
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

You don’t need to buy ahead. It isn’t like Disney where you have to have a ticket # to reserve fast passes. But do look for things like Black Friday sales.
    Price compare on Undercover Tourist too. If they still have the buy 2 day, get 2 day, you might as well buy it.

Thanks - very helpful! I did see that they currently have the buy 2 get 2, and that's a great deal (especially if you're staying for 4 days! but we only have 1 and 1/2...). But I think we're going to stay at Universal since it's only 2 nights and we want to pack it in. We'll get the fast passes that way, so it's still cheaper to buy one day of water park and one day of 2-park. But maybe we could do the deal and stay at a cheaper Universal hotel since we wouldn't be trying to get the fast pass from the hotel deal...

I do like the idea of not buying the water park tickets until we get there though, so I don't need to stress about the weather delaying us. This is all good food for thought.. Thank you!
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Unless it's President's Day weekend, you should be fine without Express Passes. (FYI- Express Pass- Universal lingo) We liked Cabana Bay and the family suites give you a nice bit of extra space. But, if you can afford Royal Pacific, you should do it. Even if you don't need the passes, you might really enjoy them. Plus, you don't have to take a bus to the park (and walk the endless walkway to CityWalk...truly, not that bad, but I imagine the boat is lovely ). Sapphire Falls is cheaper than RP, no Express Passes but you can take the boat.

Good luck! It was freezing on our January trip so a water park would have been a flop for us. I think waiting to buy is smart.

Thanks! I just realized that if we stay at the Sapphire it's MUCH cheaper for 2 nights ($465 v. $1055!), still can take the boat like you said, and we could just buy the express passes for the one Universal day and still save $225! So I think that's what I'll do. And hope for good weather on the first day and a water park day, but be ok if it's not (maybe I won't tell the kids about that option when they hear about universal at xmas). The buy 2 get 2 doesn't come with express passes, so I'm going to leave that deal for someone else.... But I'm excited! Just booked the plane tickets.
    And we are thrill seekers, with only one day to see the 2 Universal parks (we've been to one a few years ago, but DD wasn't old enough to ride the rides she wanted!), so I think the express passes are a good idea. It will be Feb. vacation week...
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05