Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Non-wood kitchen/dining table?

We tend to end up eating in our kitchen, even when we entertain, and I’d like a table that seats 8 comfortably and, ideally, could expand to fit even more. The problem is that I just won’t do wood anymore. My kids have totally destroyed the old dining room table we’ve been using in the kitchen. It doesn’t help that DH is responsible for dinner clean up and often doesn’t pick up the placemats or double check for potential water on the table. Last night a placemat sat on top of a water spill all night, and half the table is covered with white water staining. I need a surface that is indestructible. I’ve shied away from zinc because I’m worried I won’t like seeing the patina-forming process and will get upset like I do with the wood. Also, I’d love to have an expandable table, but I’d be willing to give that up, I guess, to have a nicer table for every day. I’m not a fan of anything ornate, but I’m happy with a touch of rustic. I just can’t risk wood any more, though. If I had to go sleek and modern, I would, just to avoid the emotional pain of ruined furniture! Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

What about this:
    https://www.crateandbarrel.com/parso...roduct-reviews

or

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/parso...-tables/f74391

or

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/parso...-tables/f58903

I will say I just bought a wood table at Cost Plus World Market for really cheap (they have great sales), so while it seems to have a great finish that water doesn't touch, if it does get ruined in a few years, at $300, I'm ok with that.
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

Ours is round and only seats 4, so not what you're looking for, but I LOVE our marble top kitchen table. It is where we do all the messy stuff like play doh, (washable) watercolors and markers, etc. in addition to eating when we don't have extra people in our house.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

The Crate and Barrel tables look promising. I’d be fine with wood as long as I didn’t have to fuss over it. I’m so tired of being the table police!!! I just want a table that doesn’t get ruined every time someone puts a glass down without a coaster!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

What about a table pad and tablecloth? Just for these years and then voila! You get your pretty table back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had our wood table refinished with s polyurethane type finish. Easy peasy. No more worrying about water or wet messes.

Tablecloth was a disaster for us. Always dirty or wet. I like something I can wipe clean.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

We have a vintage table with a laminate wood grain top. My parents bought it 100 years ago and it is not beautiful but it is INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Non-wood kitchen/dining table?

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    We had our wood table refinished with s polyurethane type finish. Easy peasy. No more worrying about water or wet messes.

Tablecloth was a disaster for us. Always dirty or wet. I like something I can wipe clean.
    Was this a resin finish? Where did you take it to get it done?

I hate tablecloths, and they don’t work anyway. If you want protection from water, you need to use pads or a waterproof underlay. I use placemats on my wood table, but accidents still happen, and it’s just not practical for my kids. I cannot tell you how much I would LOVE not to have to worry about coasters, placemats, etc. I would even go the ugly laminate route if I could find something. So far, the Crate and Barrel tables are all I’ve found that are not super modern but have concrete or solid surface options. There are other concrete top tables I’ve found, also stainless steel, copper, and zinc, but I worry those will get rings from glasses or scratches or the like. Maybe coating a wood table with something would work best.

ETA: I’ve seen some quartz topped tables, too, but they’ve either been too small or too large. I need something under 80” but over 70”. Is love something expandable, but the surfaces I’m looking at don’t come in expandable options.

Last edited by 123LuckyMom; 11-13-2017 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    Was this a resin finish? Where did you take it to get it done?

Baby Bargains
    We had a wood refinishing/painting company do it. We were having our wooden window frames refinished and I asked one of the guys about it. They took our table and brought it back a week later. I can’t remember exactly what they did, but the guy said it was the same finish that wooden bars have. I think it was polyurethane, but I can’t remember. It does have some scratches (because a certain toddler rubbed rocks on the table), but there’s zero water damage. And it’s been at least 3 years. My kids do everything on that table (including making slime), and other than a few scratches, it looks great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    We had a wood refinishing/painting company do it. We were having our wooden window frames refinished and I asked one of the guys about it. They took our table and brought it back a week later. I can’t remember exactly what they did, but the guy said it was the same finish that wooden bars have. I think it was polyurethane, but I can’t remember. It does have some scratches (because a certain toddler rubbed rocks on the table), but there’s zero water damage. And it’s been at least 3 years. My kids do everything on that table (including making slime), and other than a few scratches, it looks great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    We have the same going on 5 years and I have never had an issue with water even with water trapped under a placemat. At an angle in the light, you can see indents in one area where DS2 would bang his fork and other items. It think it's in the poly finish and not the wood itself, but you have to look for it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast