Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Getting vague symptoms checked out?

For the past month or two, I have just felt "off". Hard to really pinpoint exact feelings and all symptoms sort of come and go....a little more anxious/jittery feeling, sometimes dizzy-ish, difficultly focusing as well as I would like, achy sometimes, etc. I feel like I should go get checked out, but also feel a little weird calling as my symptoms are so vague and not consistent.

Anyone felt this way before? Did you just call and make an appt with your dr saying you weren't feeling 100%??

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would call to make an appointment, especially if you haven't had routine labs recently. I'm not medically trained but I'd wonder about thyroid, anemia, maybe D deficiency?

In the meantime I'd start a log of how you feel so you can look for trends and share concrete data with your doctor. It will also help you gauge progress afterwards.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It never hurts to have a check up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When we lived in CT, it seemed like any symptoms like that were chalked up to possible Lyme, so we had a valid excuse to go in. Are you in a Lyme area?

NCGrandma is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Getting vague symptoms checked out?

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    When we lived in CT, it seemed like any symptoms like that were chalked up to possible Lyme, so we had a valid excuse to go in. Are you in a Lyme area?
    Not sure where OP lives, or has traveled, but Lyme disease is spreading rapidly and/or being diagnosed and reported more often. According to CDC data, 10 years ago, NC reported 31 cases; in 2016, NC had 240 probable cases.

My DGD1 contracted Lyme disease when she was 7 or 8, and it was definitely worth diagnosing and treating. Miserable experience.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by NCGrandma; 11-12-2017 at 11:58 PM.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I think it is reasonable to go in for routine bloods and to ask for a lyme test.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Thanks all! I called and made an appt with the NP for tomorrow. Do you usually ask for specific testing or just see what they say? I'm hoping they will do blood work.

NCGrandma is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by acmom View Post
    Thanks all! I called and made an appt with the NP for tomorrow. Do you usually ask for specific testing or just see what they say? I'm hoping they will do blood work.
    Hopefully the NP will take a detailed history (which is where your notes will be helpful), as well as an exam, and based on those, decide what to do next. If s/he orders blood tests, ask what these are tests are looking for. If s/he does not suggest any blood work, or it seems pretty perfunctory, ask what other tests might be helpful.

My primary care physician tends to order only tests that she thinks may help figure out what’s wrong, or may help monitor ongoing issues. Other PCPs routinely order a laundry list of "routine" blood tests whether or not anything is wrong. When I had eye surgery recently, the NP at the pre-surgery anesthesia visit was very concerned because I hadn’t recently had a thyroid panel, a CBC etc. My PCP ordered those but neither of us was surprised when everything came back boringly normal. But I got cleared for the surgery!

The point of that story is that practitioners vary. If there are specific things you’re concerned about (Lyme disease, anemia, mono/Epstein Barr and other things that can wipe you out), ask whether these can be tested for. Be aware that in regions where Lyme disease isn’t yet common, you may get some resistance to testing for this.

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    Hopefully the NP will take a detailed history (which is where your notes will be helpful), as well as an exam, and based on those, decide what to do next. If s/he orders blood tests, ask what these are tests are looking for. If s/he does not suggest any blood work, or it seems pretty perfunctory, ask what other tests might be helpful.

My primary care physician tends to order only tests that she thinks may help figure out what’s wrong, or may help monitor ongoing issues. Other PCPs routinely order a laundry list of "routine" blood tests whether or not anything is wrong. When I had eye surgery recently, the NP at the pre-surgery anesthesia visit was very concerned because I hadn’t recently had a thyroid panel, a CBC etc. My PCP ordered those but neither of us was surprised when everything came back boringly normal. But I got cleared for the surgery!

The point of that story is that practitioners vary. If there are specific things you’re concerned about (Lyme disease, anemia, mono/Epstein Barr and other things that can wipe you out), ask whether these can be tested for. Be aware that in regions where Lyme disease isn’t yet common, you may get some resistance to testing for this.

Thanks! This helps a lot. I am concerned about thyroid and low iron levels, as both were issues that arose during my last pregnancy that I was on meds for (baby is now 16 months) and the OB told me to keep an eye on them going forward. (I did get them checked around 3-4 months post partum at my well visit and they were ok then). And yes, we actually live in an area (Upstate NY) where ticks and lyme are very present unfortunately! I hadn't concerned that as possibility, but guess I should.

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I ask for specific tests if I have specific concerns. It can't hurt to do so.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast