Question Packing adults and kids for Hawaii in winter?

Please help! I'm trying to be more minimal in packing, and would like to find and bring some clothes that I could wash in our hotel sink or bathtub, since I don't think there are laundry facilities, and if there are, they'll be very expensive.

What would work for a luau? I've never been to one, but don't have any sundresses or maxi dresses. All I have for summer weather right now is a pair of jean shorts, and a black 'skort' from Athleta (skirt with shorts underneath).

We'll be there a little over a week, and I'm not sure how many jackets and shoes I can get by on (I'm an over packer and tend to bring everything I might need so I don't have to find and buy it there). Also, for the kids? Crocs, sandals, tennis shoes, Keens, etc.?

Any suggestions? Thank you soooo much!

We have gone to Maui 4 times now, once over the winter break, and we always only bring carry-ons. We stay in condos, though, so I do laundry while we're there. I usually pack 2 machine-washable dresses for "nicer" restaurants (but Maui is quite casual--DH wears a nice polo shirt or a collared dress shirt at the "fancier" high-end restaurants), shorts and tank-tops, 2 swimsuits (one to wear while the other is drying), and 2 pairs of shoes (flip-flops for the beach and dressier sandals). My kids pack similarly (e.g., 1-2 dresses for the nicer restaurants, t-shirts and shorts for day trips, Keens for active walking and flip-flops for the pool or beach). But we are coming from CA, so we don't have to bring "real" winter clothing, just a light jacket and 1 pair of pants for the airport. If you are not going to the top of a volcano (where it's cold), then you can probably get by for most events with a dress or shirt & shorts (and a light sweater in case you're the type of person who gets chilly with strong AC). Many restaurants with ocean views are open-air to take advantage of the lovely ocean breezes.

We don't go to luaus, but I see plenty of people wear very casual attire to luaus (t-shirts and shorts, casual dresses, etc.). I don't think you have to wear a sundress or a maxi dress.

If you don't have any summer options to buy in stores now, you can always pick up some aloha wear while you're there (e.g., stores like Hilo Hattie's or vendors at the swap meet will have casual aloha print dresses).

HTH!

sariana is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Where are you going, and what are your plans besides a lu'au?
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Sorry, I should have elaborated! . Honolulu (Aulani for a few days, then a different hotel and a day at Pearl Harbor), and Maui. Mostly beach time, with a whale-watching boat ride; not sure how much more. .
    I was thinking of ordering long sleeved rash guards for the kids, as I've heard that's easier to protect them from the stronger sun. Any sun hats you'd recommend for the kids and me?

And thank you so much, smiles33, for the detailed advice!

sariana is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree with smiles33; good advice. I would add to take a lightweight water proof or at least water resistant jacket because it rains a lot (though I think not as much in the winter) but it won't be cold.

One problem with washing the clothes in the sink is that it is kind of damp (humid) all the time; so you might have trouble getting things dry. Just something to be aware of. If the material can handle it, you can use a hair dryer to help with that.

Something to be aware of for Pearl Harbor is that they do not allow any bags through the gate. No purses, no backpacks, no camera bags, nothing. There is a place to rent lockers, but you're probably better off not taking anything along, or leaving it in the car. So I highly recommend something with pockets for your day at Pearl Harbor. Also, it usually is windy, so you probably don't want a skirt anyway. A hat with a chin string of some sort is advisable, especially for the boat ride to the memorial.

I think you can make the skort work for the lu'au, especially if you have a cute top to wear with it. I probably would skip the jeans shorts for that event, though no one is going to care if you wear them. You also could look for a swim wrap, or sarong, that can be worn in different ways to feel like different outfits on various days. There really is very little in the way of a "dress code" in Hawai'i, except maybe the fanciest restaurants (but I wouldn't know about those). Even the military is very casual there.

Long-sleeved rash guards are a good idea, but a good sunscreen should work, too. And you'll be able to be near the water for more of the day because it stays warm more consistently. So you can avoid the peak sun hours and still get in good beach time.

As for shoes, you'll want something comfortable for lots of walking. What that means varies by person. I can't wear flip-flops for extended periods of time, for example, but some people live in them. If you plan to go snorkeling, you may want water shoes of some sort, though they aren't mandatory.

If I think of anything else, I'll post again.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

I agree with smiles33 and other advice. Two pairs of shoes are enough. We go annually and sometimes more and I never wear the dressier stuff even when I think I might. We stay in condo style resorts with w/d but even the nicest hotels usually have a coin op laundry facility you could toss in a load. Agree long sleeve rash guards are nice extra to help with sun safety and whatever hats your kids like. I have two who will wear hats and one who doesn’t like them. For Pearl Harbor, it is a cemetery and they used to request you dress appropriately as in not your swimsuit with a coverup but t-shirt and decent shorts etc. It is a somber and moving place and I’d talk to my kids about it so they know it isn’t just like any old park. Well worth seeing and very moving and yes, there will be people dressed inappropriately and who are taking cell phone calls, but it really is a resting place. Have fun. We love Hawaii, you can’t lose all the islands are amazing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DH and I honeymooned in Maui.

I took a couple of sundresses, a couple of wraps, shorts, t-shirts, polos, sneakers, sandals, and platform sandals. Oh, and swimsuits.

I didn't need everything I packed, but was rather glad I had a lot of options.

I am very fair-skinned, so sunscreen was a HUGE priority as were sunglasses. For kids, a lot of my friends IRL like Sunday Afternoon brand sunhats; DD likes sunglasses from The Children's Place and OshKosh, though she's taken to wearing a few from street fair giveaways (Geico and Girl Scouts.)

We bought water shoes while we were there because we wanted to wade in the ocean, but the beach by the hotel was a little rockier than we'd expected.

ETA: We stayed overnight in Waikiki Beach so we could visit Pearl Harbor. It's one of the most heartbreakingly beautiful and wonderfully solemn places I have ever been, on par with Arlington National Cemetery. Please be respectful; there was one couple there while we were waiting for our return boat who were decidedly ... not.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Oops, I forgot about sun protection! Yes, we bring rash guards so we don't have to slather sunblock on shoulders/back/arms, etc. We still make sure to put a lot on our faces and legs and reapply. My kids hate wearing hats, so we never bother with those. We stay in Wailea and go to beaches with soft sand, so we never bother with water shoes. There are beaches with rocky/pebbly shorelines, though.

We rent our snorkel gear from a local place (check reviews on TripAdvisor or Yelp) as it's easier than lugging it with us. We also buy cheap inflatable inner tubes and pool noodles while there if the condo doesn't already have some (I see people use them in the pool AND at calm beaches).

As for rain gear, it's usually warm rain that doesn't last long, so I wouldn't bring an actual umbrella. Sariana's advice re: a light water-resistant jacket makes sense. I remember one time years ago, when I was on Oahu with friends for spring break, it started raining pretty hard while we were in our jeep. We didn't want to get soaked so we got out at the red light to pull the cover on. By the time the cover was on, the rain stopped. That gives you an idea of the duration.

Re: other activities besides the luau, how old are your kids? I would make sure they have Keens or sneakers if they want to zip-line, rock climb, hike, etc. Flip flops are really only comfortable for walking to the pool or beach (IMHO). Plenty of people wear them everywhere in Hawaii, but I don't think they provide enough support.

Have a great trip!

Wow, this is sooo awesome! Thank you all so much for all of the info.! I did buy swim/ water shoes for DD and DS (9 and 7), and was wondering if my 2 year old would need them? Will definitely bring light rain jackets... is a fleece or jean jacket overkill? Not sure how much adventurous stuff we'll be doing since our 2 year old needs to nap; will probably need to save that until they're a bit older.