trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default Help me teach DD to tie shoes

DD got her first non-Velcro shoes. I have been trying to teach her how to tie them. She wants to learn. It's not going well and we are both getting frustrated. Any tip? TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I had DS watch a you tube video and practice a bit before I even got involved. We had tried before with my showing him how and we both were too impatient for that to work very well. Once he had a pretty good understanding of how it was supposed to work, I sat and watched him practice and gave some pointers here and there. He got it fairly quickly, but this was just before school started this year and he was going into second grade, so motor skills wise, he was more than ready.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I second you-tube videos. DD2's school did this brilliant thing when she was in third grade. They had a grade wide contest to see which class could tie their shoes the fastest (I don't know how that was determined). They watched videos of different techniques and practiced off and on for a couple of weeks in class. I have no idea who won but the end result was that entire grade could tie their own shoes. It was pretty awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Do you have a Nordstrom? They do a free class once a month. There’s food & balloons and they are great with the kids. They get a cardboard shoe with each side of the lace a different color so it is easier to learn.

We personally didn't get very far with having DS watch YouTube videos, but I think he's probably an outlier. Have you showed her different methods or techniques? I did watch YT videos and tried several techniques that are supposed to be super-kid friendly. Nada. Then one evening as DH was working with him, I said "How about this?" And I just tied my shoe the way I tie it (which looks like the Nordstrom way). And he got it within five minutes. He just learned this summer before 2nd grade.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Pinky is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We used velcro shoes until my DD was 7... she finally learned after we all watched youtube videos together until we found a method that worked for her small hands. It also helps to have longer laces.
    DD Spring 2010

This is the one that worked for us. It really, quite literally, took about 5 minutes for each child to learn at age 5. I recommend practicing with a shoe on a table in front of them facing like the shoe would if it were on their foot. DS learned immediately with the shoe on his foot. DD learned with the table method after having s bit of trouble on her foot. It helped that I learned the new method, too, and was able to help teach.

https://youtu.be/BYPBHOGlyNc

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Pinky is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

This is the one that my daughter used... I thought it was actually simpler than the way I tie my own shoes. I think it really helps that there is one black lace and one white lace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsFKxElIr_A
    DD Spring 2010