Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help me feel less sad about this

It seems so trivial, yet I am so very sad. DD's footprints that were taken when she was a couple of days old have been in a 'safe' place for the past year and a half (yup, third child). I saw them last week when I was doing a big pre-Christmas clear-out, and I thought I put them in the 'to be framed' pile. I went out and bought the frame, went to the 'safe' place and they were not there. I must have put them in the 'put in recycling' pile and as my cleaner came that same day, they are long gone. I even went through my recycling bin and it has already been emptied (there is nowhere else in the house they could be - I know for a fact that they're now gone).

I am so upset about it. I have prints for both of my sons and of course, these can't be replicated. I feel guilty for not framing them sooner, and totally stupid for throwing them out. She's my last baby and I feel very nostalgic about these things. My grandma passed away a few days after she was born so that whole time stirs up a lot of emotions. I yelled at DH today because I've been asking him to frame them for months, although I know that it is my fault and not his.

I can't believe I was so dumb

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm so sorry. Can you frame a picture of her hands/feet instead? Sending hugs.
    K

I'm so sorry; I can totally empathize! If she was born in a hospital, is there any way they would have a copy of her footprints that you could get? I'm just impressed that you have those- I have three kids, too, but no sets of footprints (or baby books)!

Allow yourself time to be sad, but also try to be gentle on yourself... we're all human.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Hugs.. I can understand. I misplaced a precious drawing and i take photos of their art but my pc crashed and I lost some stuff so there’s no way to retrieve it.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Can you frame a special outfit instead?

I'm sorry. Maybe take her to a paint your own pottery place and have her footprints now made into a pretty girlie artwork tile or plate. Not the same, but something to hang with the other two that is similar but special, too. But really, it is okay to just be upset about it for now and I know I would, too. This stuff happens.

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I'm so sorry. The hospital where DD was born didn't do foot prints. I intended to do it myself but never did. DS was born at a different hospital that did foot prints. I feel so bad that I have his, but not hers.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

These types of things happen to all of us. The way I reframe to help me cope is I look at it as a reminder from the universe to not get so caught up in things and to focus on and appreciate the people and experiences in my life. That usually helps me let go.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

Pear is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We’ve lost things too. It is so hard when in the baby blur.

Any chance someone snapped a photo of the footprints? It is the kind of thing my DH would have done. It might be sitting on a hard drive or in the cloud somewhere. If so, there are lots of ways to turn the snapshot into something interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmomagain View Post
    These types of things happen to all of us. The way I reframe to help me cope is I look at it as a reminder from the universe to not get so caught up in things and to focus on and appreciate the people and experiences in my life. That usually helps me let go.
    Yes to this. We forgot to download one of those 3D ultrasounds of DS in the third trimester with still photos and videos of him moving in útero. It hit the expiration date and despite downloading an earlier one, failed to get the later one. It bothered me and made me sad for a very long time. DS was already a rainbow baby and after a rough pregnancy and early and traumatic birth with c-section, post partum hemorrhage and emergency hysterectomy, it was just HARD to not have it. No more pregnancies in the cards and not having the video was just another spike.

It eventually dawned on me that we both made it home safely from that birthing experience, and whenever I wanted to see DS moving around, all I had to do was look at him right there next to me - growing, thriving and happy. It’s still annoying when I think about it but I’m not shedding any more tears over it. Took awhile though. Hugs mama.
    DS 2014

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast