Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Can you have a talk at home about what it means in your family to "do your best?" Maybe that means giving a good effort and being happy at what you create? Maybe it means that you fully enjoy a task? Maybe it means finding a way to do a task in a unique way that works for you? I think you can take "do your best" and make it work for his personality.

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I believe that thinking this has anything to do with gender is a gross overgeneralization. I would definitely talk to the teacher. Sounds like assigning DC a special job might be helpful for a while. I think the transition from K to 1st is hard. We have a 1st grader who is also not loving this year. We have a very strict and unfriendly teacher, so that's our issue - but I also think 1st just isn't as "fun" as K. It's hard! I've also found having something to look forward to after school each day is helping... like a playdate, ice cream cone, special art project with Mom, etc.

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    First grade is a tough year. It is a big change from kindergarten. It is much more academic, and less time for centers and play time. I don’t think I would ask for a change of teacher though. I think it is just general settling into the routine of first grade.
    I totally agree with this. I taught first grade for much of my teaching career and this was often an issue that arose - I spent many a November parent conference discussing it! (And I didn't hear it nearly as much in the other grades I taught). For many kids, these feelings/issues settled out by spring (usually there was a settling in/adjustment needed after the Christmas break, but then things often got better as they were a little older and more used to the routine/demands of school).

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mackmama View Post
    I believe that thinking this has anything to do with gender is a gross overgeneralization.
    I completely agree. I remember my niece was this way and my sister went the ‘suck it up, buttercup’ route. Which I would not recommend. Although the child just started Harvard this year, so apparently it didn’t do any permanent damage and may have helped. 🤣

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You cannot take gender out of this. A two second google search establishes that this really is a gender issue. A deeper review of the research is positively depressing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2