KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Amazon Prime Household

We have the grandfathered version of Prime sharing. But, I'd like to be able to have DS1 have a teen account. Does anyone know if I can set up a household and not affect my sharing? Or any ideas on how to make it work for us?

Right now, our family account buys Prime, movies, and kindle books. It has done that for years. That family account shares Prime with me and DH. DH and I each have a regular account. So to change to the newer way of Prime sharing, we'd lose 1 of 3 of our accounts, since we can only have 2 adults on a household. So we'd have to change the Roku to look at one of our accounts instead of the family account for any new movies we want, but have to change it back to watch one we've already bought. Or I could take over the family account (I have one of the kindles) and my personal account would stop buying things. Any other options to make it easy?
    Kris

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We have always just had one account because I would find it confusing to have more than one. DH rarely orders, but he has the password. He just tells me not to look at the account when he has bought something for me. DH doesn’t have a Kindle so maybe that is why we don’t need to share. I still download books for Dd1’s Kindle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I tried to make a change to my amazon prime grandfathered account and called customer service to help me. Although I made it very clear that I did not want to make any changes that would affect my grandfathered prime, the customer service rep inadvertently did not do something correctly and my account was changed. Because Amazon no longer has the old type of amazon prime sharing, there was not way for the customer service rep to fix the mistake. I was in contact with Amazon customer service and multiple levels and departments and no one could fix the problem although they all acknowledged the customer service reps mistake.

If sharing is important to you, I wouldn't make a change. If you don't mind having the family account, you could change and your son could have a child account. When my account was changed, I could no longer share with my mother and mother-in-law.

Since two people lost Prime access due to Amazon’s admitted customer service mistake, I would request that they give both people free Prime accounts. The worst they can say is no, but they may agree. If they do, request that there be a note on both accounts that they will renew free of charge when you renew yours. Again, it’s worth asking. I’ve found Amazon to be extremely accommodating, but only if you ask. They don’t generally offer options, but if you ask for them, they will often agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

I've read of that happening - changes that are irreversible. Sorry it happened to you!

We only share with our actual household, so there is no cost difference. But, we have 3 accounts. I wonder if our family account could become a child account so we could all still easily access the movies and kindle books. You can have up to 4 child accounts and we only have 3 kids, so maybe that would work.

I'm afraid to ask Amazon!
    Kris

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

why do you have 3 prime accounts? I was just curious don't you have to pay for all 3 prime accounts?
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    Since two people lost Prime access due to Amazon’s admitted customer service mistake, I would request that they give both people free Prime accounts. The worst they can say is no, but they may agree. If they do, request that there be a note on both accounts that they will renew free of charge when you renew yours. Again, it’s worth asking. I’ve found Amazon to be extremely accommodating, but only if you ask. They don’t generally offer options, but if you ask for them, they will often agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I actually did request that they receive free prime accounts and was completely unsuccessful. I went through several layers of customer service and had direct line phone numbers. It was upsetting, but even under the old prime sharing rules, people were supposed to be at the same address or house, it just wasn't enforced.

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    why do you have 3 prime accounts? I was just curious don't you have to pay for all 3 prime accounts?
    We have one Prime account. In the past, you could share that with a few other accounts. So, the main family account buys Prime and shares it to me and to DH. But, sharing is free, so we just pay for the one account.
    Kris