hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Reminder about families...

As the holidays approach and we will all be spending time with family and loved ones, please remember to "be kind" and think about what you say. Words hurt, even words that are meant to be praise. Everyone has their own demons and their own battles. You may not see them or even know they are there...

- The couple without children who seem so carefree may be struggling with infertility issues and may be extremely fragile
    - The family with the super quirky child may be in the process of getting a diagnosis
    - The couple who seems to have it all, may be fighting constantly
    - The stay at home parent who seems to have it all together may be lonely and struggling

You don't know.

Happy holidays to all.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thank you for posting, I was just stressing about having my family here because of this (so well meaning, but words hurt).
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thank you for this... a good reminder and timely.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

1000x YES! Thank you for posting. Unfortunately this is me this year... we are in the midst of a potentially devastating medical diagnosis for DH but are having to put it aside and pretend all is well and it is so difficult. Thankfully there is usually little drama in my family. Happy Thanksgiving all!

So very true.

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    1000x YES! Thank you for posting. Unfortunately this is me this year... we are in the midst of a potentially devastating medical diagnosis for DH but are having to put it aside and pretend all is well and it is so difficult. Thankfully there is usually little drama in my family. Happy Thanksgiving all!
    I'm so very sorry. and hoping for the best.

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I’m so sorry. Wishing you and your family the best.

To the OP, very good reminder, thanks. Another good topic to stay away from this year is politics.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Thinking of you and your family during this difficult time and hoping for the best outcome.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m so very sorry. Hoping for the best outcome for you and your family.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thank you, OP, for the lovely reminder. It is a kind way to brace ourselves for this holiday. Our families aren't perfect and neither are we but a little kindness goes a long way.

Prayers and positive thoughts to all who are shouldering heavy burdens right now. Mmsmom, I'm so sorry. Sending healing vibes and prayers to you.