doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default How to celebrate 'High Honors' report card?

This is dd1's first report card w/actual grades - not pass/fail or meets expectations type thing. I'm feeling like I ought to do something special for it since she worked hard(ish) but I'm a bit at a loss as to what to do if anything? As a kid, my mom would always make a big deal about it - out to eat/ ice cream and brag incessantly about it.

I'm torn on how to show that I'm proud w/o setting up the expectation that this is the only acceptable result type thing.

ETA: I was a bit mean and texted a pic of the certificate to my mother who will undoubtably brag to all the relatives we wont see at Thanksgiving...... she already called and thanked dd1 for the "gift" My mom is going through some serious health stuff and I knew it would cheer her up.

Should I do anything else? Pizza night? go out? token gift? or leave it at the hug I gave her and told her I'm proud....
    Last edited by doberbrat; 11-22-2017 at 06:36 PM.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I let the kids order a soda. We eat at a family place every Friday so that’s when they’d be allowed to have a soda. I let both kids have one regardless of who we are celebrating.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

I took my DS out to dinner to celebrate. He earned 1st Honors and I know he really worked hard to get there. He knows I'm not upset if it doesn't happen, but I feel if his hard work paid off then he should be rewarded.

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I’d say it depends on your child. When DS started to get letter grades in middle school, I was so proud of his straight ‘A’ report card that my first instinct was so do something special. But, he’s a kid with anxiety and a perfectionist. I didn’t want to do anything that might add pressure on him to perform. DH and I praised his hard work, but nothing more. DD has a different personality and we could absolutely do something special with her without her perceiving it as pressure. I doubt we will, though.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

High five and a hug would be good for us here
    K

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Our schools don't have honor rolls, but we usually reward good report cards with a trip to our local frozen yogurt place. Out to dinner would be over the top for our family-- that's saved for birthdays and culminations.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Usually a high five. We go out probably more than we should so imho all those eating out times for nothing specific cover this kind of thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Usually a high five. We go out probably more than we should so imho all those eating out times for nothing specific cover this kind of thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Same for us although we might let the kids pick the restaurant if we end up eating out around the same time.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We really value good grades and we consider it to be a big deal, especially now that DD is in middle school. We usually go out to the restaurant of her choice. One quarter she really fought for one of her grades, and I wanted to do something different so we gave her a Hydroflask. It's a private celebration though, no social media grade posts here. For us, education is really important, so it is a consistent message. I remember celebrating with her in 1st grade when she got her first report card.