gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Chromebook vs Laptop

DGS1 is a Freshman. The only thing he wants for Christmas is a laptop. He really does need one for school, since all of his textbooks, assignments, grades are on Canvas online. I really love apple products, but even a MacBook Air (refurbished) is over my budget. They use Chrome Books at school. He and his siblings all had Laptops previously and downloaded viruses within months, after which the laptops were unusable. Is anyone familiar with the difference and my main concern is that he will be disappointed on Christmas morning.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

A chrome book does not allow you do download software (like Microsoft Word or PowerPoint or Excel) but you can use cloud based apps like Google Docs and Google Sheets (excel like product) as long as you have an internet connection.

A laptop or MacBook or MacBook Air all has storage where you can download and work off line and online and where you can work on software like PowerPoint and Excel.

Hope this helps!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

If he wants it for school and browsing the internet, get a Chromebook. If he also wants to play video games, do photo/video editing, etc, he'd need a regular laptop.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If you're worried about viruses, a CB is a great choice. Just make sure you know how to "wipe" the device (you can Google it) and make sure to save everything to the Cloud or to an external device before wiping. Often CBs will "default" to downloading to the internal drive, which will be lost in a "wipe."

CBs do have limitations and might not otherwise be a good choice, but for virus issues they are golden.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm sure he would love to play games, but he has an iPhone and an iPad for that. I did read that you can play web based games on the CB or on an app purchased from the Google Play store. He likes to watch Netflicks and Youtube, which I think he can do. Thanks so much!

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Yes, there are definitely some web-based CB games. My kids were just obsessed with one that involves buying paperclips.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gamma View Post
    I'm sure he would love to play games, but he has an iPhone and an iPad for that. I did read that you can play web based games on the CB or on an app purchased from the Google Play store. He likes to watch Netflicks and Youtube, which I think he can do. Thanks so much!
    I don't know about Netflix, but YouTube is owned by Google and thus operates seamlessly with CBs.

ETA: I watch YouTube videos on my CB all the time. I have the cheapo Acer from Target, which is on sale right now for $130. I love it, but it has a small working memory (only 2G), which causes it to crash if I try to have too many tabs open. It's not a huge deal because it reloads where I left off (after shutting down by holding the power button for 8-10 seconds), but it is annoying. There are nicer CBs on sale right now elsewhere, but if it's going to go to and from school, stick with 11.6". If it's staying at home, a 14" is fine, and probably preferable. Costco had a good price on one, I think.
    Last edited by sariana; 11-27-2017 at 04:51 PM.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"