Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Recommendations for a book on healthy eating habits for kids

Does such a thing exist for kids to read? I want for my 9 year old. No matter how much I explain she doesn't choose healthy options. She's on the heavy side, 94lb and 54". I feel if she reads up on it in her own pace she might do better.

TIA
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I can think of books but those aren’t with kids as audience in mind.
    What about involving her in shopping for produce, and/or also having her make some easy healthy recipes?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We always enjoyed Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food. At 9, she's a bit old for those books but I think it's a simple book that easily delivers and important message.
    I assume the American Girl self care books have that sort of info too. A 9yo would probably really like their books. Their "Care and Keeping of You" is supposed to be great!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    ...Their "Care and Keeping of You" is supposed to be great!
    Care and Keeping of YOU is now a 2-book item - they split the topics.

The Care and Keeping of You 1 covers body & hygiene basics, healthy eating, and periods. I recommend you pre-read or read it together.

The Care and Keeping of You 2 covers periods, peer pressure, more personal care issues, and other questions that might not occur to younger girls.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think maybe looking for a specific book written by a nutritionist targeting kids would be good. The American Girl books are good, but the healthy eating is pretty generic.

Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/How-Teach-Nut...rition+to+kids

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    No matter how much I explain she doesn't choose healthy options.

TIA
    What exactly do you mean about making unhealthy choices? Genuinely curious, not trying to be snarky. I’ve heard others say this too but it doesn’t square with my experiences. At mealtimes, choices are limited. For snacks, yes we have chips and cookies sometimes, but buy in limited quantities so when we’re out, we’re out. I’m never surprised if given the option, kids will choose the tasty, unhealthy stuff. I do too! So I limit what’s on offer.
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

Quote Originally Posted by jent View Post
    What exactly do you mean about making unhealthy choices? Genuinely curious, not trying to be snarky. I’ve heard others say this too but it doesn’t square with my experiences. At mealtimes, choices are limited. For snacks, yes we have chips and cookies sometimes, but buy in limited quantities so when we’re out, we’re out. I’m never surprised if given the option, kids will choose the tasty, unhealthy stuff. I do too! So I limit what’s on offer.
    The problem in our household is not at home but outside the home when they're unsupervised. We are dealing with this issue with DS1. He needs to learn to make healthy choices and have self control in how much he eats (of the unhealthy stuff) when he's at school, at parties, etc.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/16052...ight+eat+right

I haven’t bought this book, but it was recommended somewhere (maybe if the BBB - I can’t remember) and it has good reviews. I was possibly going to get it for my DS, but his nutrition and hasn’t been an issue so I never did. One reason he eats well is that he is in a sports class. Every week the coach talks about a new “power food” and they stress how athletes have to eat well to stay healthy. They also stress that some foods are “sometimes foods.” This week the power food was carrots for example. My DS came home asking for carrots so he could see in the dark. He loves to eat the power foods they talk about in class. Since the lessons come from his “coach” he really listens and internalizes it - much more than if it came from me or from a book. Maybe there is something like that where you live that you could put your daughter in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    The problem in our household is not at home but outside the home when they're unsupervised. We are dealing with this issue with DS1. He needs to learn to make healthy choices and have self control in how much he eats (of the unhealthy stuff) when he's at school, at parties, etc.
    ett, same issue here, looks like our DCs are the same age! My DD1 is also a junkfood junkie when she is not at home. And what's worse now is the kids are constantly giving each other massive amounts of candy for birthdays. I mean like huuuge amounts.....I even posted about this several months ago. I don't overly restrict at home and try to keep things in balance so those forbidden foods aren't so tempting, but its not working!!!
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jent View Post
    She hardly eat vegetables, when I include carrots, broccoli for lunch it’s almosy never touched. Quantity wise she eats a lot, like 4 slices of large pizza not kid cuts either. At parties apart from the pizza she drinks more that one juice. And don’t want to be standing over her trying to stop. Things like that.
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast