Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Kid vs. adult activity tracker: What to choose?

Hi. I have 9-year-old and a 11-year-old (12 in March) boys. The youngest one has a Fitbit high on his list (I think he has seen commercials for the Ionic), and the oldest one threw Apple Watch on his list. They aren't getting those. :-) So I've been researching other more inexpensive options. I noticed Garmin has one called the Vivofit Jr 2 specifically geared toward kids. I love especially that in addition to counting steps, activity, and sleep (and functioning as a watch), that it has a reminder for kids to do chores that parents can set via an app. And kids can earn rewards for completing their chores. Also, by meeting fitness goals they can unlock adventures in a smartphone app based on the character theme of the tracker (Star Wars or Marvel for boys). My hesitation is that the graphics seem geared more toward littler kids. I worry that the kids might perceive it as too babyish. But I do think they would respond to the idea of it and have fun competing with each other even. I'm torn between getting them this or maybe just going with a regular adult Fitbit Zip or other model (I have a Fitbit Charge HR, so they could compete against me) or adult Garmin Vivofit model. But those seem kind of boring by comparison, especially for my younger son.

What would you do--go with the kid version or an adult one for kids my ages?

Info on the kid trackers:
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/60.../010-01909-32#

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/60.../010-01909-31#
    Last edited by PAfirsttimemom; 12-07-2017 at 01:57 PM.
    Mom to DS1 (3/06) and DS2 (9/08)

We got my DD (11) a Fitbit Alta last year. She still wears it every day. She loves checking her steps. She’s already super active (swim team), so I personally don’t care whether she gets more steps, but she really enjoys it. And she uses it as her watch too. It will sync to her iPad so she can track her activity over time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My 9 year old has the Vivofit Jr. He loves it! In fact, he just asked me yesterday if I could get DS one so they could compete. DS has the first one, so it doesn't have any of the characters. I love that you can swim, shower, etc with it and I don't have to worry about it not working.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    My 9 year old has the Vivofit Jr. He loves it! In fact, he just asked me yesterday if I could get DS one so they could compete. DS has the first one, so it doesn't have any of the characters. I love that you can swim, shower, etc with it and I don't have to worry about it not working.
    Cool. How old is the other DS who doesn't have one yet? Is he older?

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DS2 is 8 and has the inexpensive, but waterproof, Fitbit Flex 2. He got it for his 8th birthday and it's been perfect for him. He only takes it off to charge it. Also, Alexa has a Fitbit skill so he can also ask her how many steps he has.

DH ended up downgrading to the Flex 2 as well after his Fitbit Charge HR fell apart. He prefers the simplicity and that it's waterproof.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by essnce629; 12-07-2017 at 04:20 PM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    DS2 is 8 and has the inexpensive, but waterproof, Fitbit Flex 2. He got it for his 8th birthday and it's been perfect for him. He only takes it off to charge it. Also, Alexa has a Fitbit skill so he can also ask her how many steps he has.

DH ended up downgrading to the Flex 2 as well after his Fitbit Charge HR fell apart. He prefers the simplicity and that it's waterproof.

Oh, that's interesting because we have Alexa. I didn't know she had that capability.

I think I need to start a post about making the most of the Echo. Pretty much all we use it for is music shuffling and asking silly questions. :-)

babyonway is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PAfirsttimemom View Post
    I think I need to start a post about making the most of the Echo. Pretty much all we use it for is music shuffling and asking silly questions. :-)
    We also use it for that and setting a timer (for cooking)!
    Mama to my sweet lil girl (Summer 2010)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PAfirsttimemom View Post
    I've had mine for 3 years now and it was the jumping off point for creating a "smart" home. I use Alexa to turn off and on all our lights and switch to different colored scenes, plus I use her to control our ceiling fans, thermostat, and anything else on a smart plug. I also love using it to listen to all the daily news and podcasts when I'm in the kitchen making breakfast and dinner. She's also connected to our pool through the Pentair skill and I use her to turn on our jacuzzi. Oh and I use the shopping list daily and ask her what my commute is every day to DS2's school so I know what time to leave depending on traffic.

Last edited by essnce629; 12-07-2017 at 07:27 PM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

I've had mine for 3 years now and it was the jumping off point for creating a "smart" home. I use Alexa to turn off and on all our lights and switch to different colored scenes, plus I use her to control our ceiling fans, thermostat, and anything else on a smart plug. I also love using it to listen to all the daily news and podcasts when I'm in the kitchen making breakfast and dinner. She's also connected to our pool through the Pentair skill and I use her to turn on our jacuzzi. Oh and I use the shopping list daily and ask her what my commute is every day to DS2's school so I know what time to leave depending on traffic.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I don't know how to do any of them, but I guess I could ask Alexa for help. ;-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast