Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default What do u take to boost your immune system

I have been a teacher for 19 years so am around everything. I see 500 students a week as I’m a technology teacher. I wash my hands etc but as I get older I’m not fighting everything as well. This year I had strep and now I’m on round 2 of stomach flu. I get a flu shot. My family never gets it thankfully.

Any tried and true things that work.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I work in nursing homes, and am involved in feeding patients and it's inevitable that I get lots of stuff on me. I wash my hands A LOT!!!! I drink water, get a flu shot and am rarely sick, which is good as I don't have sick days and if I miss work I don't get paid and my employer get very annoyed. I honestly think a lot is me just pushing through, as a single parent I am on the go constantly. If I start to feel a tickle in my throat I take Ibuprofen for a day or two and keep going. And I drink quite a bit of wine, maybe that's what works???

My diet is mostly protein, lots of eggs, and I only drink water during the day.

When I worked in the schools it seemed some teachers got sick and others were lucky.

Some people swear by EmergenC or other stuff like that, I've never taken anything like that.

If there was some magic way to ward off sickness, I'd love to hear it (and would patent and retire lol).

aa2mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I take Vitamin D supplements and haven't even had a cold since I started taking them a few years ago! I like the gummy ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    ~Heidi
    Mama to DS 12/03 & DD 2/07

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Zinc! I like cold-eeze. Also elderberry.

I take Wellness Formula, Grapefruit Seed Extract Nasal Spray, and Vit. D and C.
    It all works very well for everyone that I know. I do the GSE nasal spray because I was prone to
    sinus infections multiple times a year, until I hit 40. Literally, 3-5 a year, with antibiotics for each one. (Yeah, my gut is now a crazy mess.)
    I started acupuncture, and it stopped them for several years, then I added the GSE to my arsenal.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Vitamins c & d and zinc Wash your hands a lot the flu shot isn’t much good this year again Black elderberry syrup also.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Eat whole unprocessed foods, limit grains, vit C and D, garlic, bone broth. Immunity is basically your gut health.

The flu shot is probably wreaking more havoc on your system than doing any good.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I use elderberry and emergenC and swallow a whole clove of garlic if I start feeling like I'm coming down with something. DD2 (who was getting pneumonia yearly) & I eat raw garlic and apple cider vinegar daily. I take a bulb of garlic and mince it then I add apple cider vinegar and puree them together. I pour into a salad dressing bottle and add a bit more vinegar so its consistency is between a thick sludge and reg salad dressing. We pour it onto our veggies at night and sandwiches before we add mayo etc.

Since we started that (knock on wood) she hasnt had pneumonia. her asthma flares are less b/c she's catching fewer colds despite being in school. And I work as a substitute so I'm in the schools daily ... often working for teachers who are sick themselves.

the other thing is we wash our hands OFTEN. as soon as we enter the house. before and after meals. when we get into the car after a store, we use sanitizer etc.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Wash hands, with sanitizer often, and then with soap and water when possible. I have bottles of sanitizer stashed all over. We clean surfaces we touch fairly often - cell phones, iPads, door handles, car door handles and steering wheel, bottom and straps of my purse, wallet and bank cards (easy to do when waiting in the car or a drive through line or whatever), etc.

Change clothes when we get home esp work, public spaces, school and esp the doctor. Take a shower when possible. Everything gets washed. We never reuse “street clothes”. It’s a lot of laundry, but I tell myself, it’s way better than puke on the bedsheets style laundry, etc. Shoes off at the door unless it’s a big gathering where we clean afterwards anyways. I worked in hospital administration for several years and also have clinical staff friends and family who leave their work shoes in the garage, I just don’t chance it to reuse clothes or walk through the house with street shoes. Having a baby / toddler roaming the floors solidified that stance.

Elderberry syrup, from natures way, daily for everyone. We double and triple doses when we start feeling run down or sniffling etc. I swear by it, and gladly will give bottles to friends and family to try. It’s an excellent tonic to prevent or curb the severity of illness.

Sleep! Get enough sleep, more than you think you need. I had this aha moment this year when I caught something DS was fighting off, which rarely happens, and the previous nights had been particularly poor sleep-wise for me. So take a late nap after work when you start feeling icky (kids do it all the time when they start coming down with something!), and tuck in a couple hours earlier for bedtime too. And like you already do, eat well, lots of fresh, clean foods (extra garlic is great and delicious) and drink lots of water!
    DS 2014

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

What brand of Elderberry syrup should I buy? And where should I buy it?

Thank you!
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast