Thread: Ozobots?

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Ozobots?

Can someone explain these to me and what would I need to buy in order to get DS started? I see they sell single ones for around $50 on Amazon. DS has used them at school (he is 9 and in 4th grade). Do you need more than one? What else do you need besides the ozobot? DS seems to think they come in a "kit". But I have no idea...
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

For Ozobot BIT, which DD and I have played with at B&N, you need a computer or tablet, a place to plug the charging station in, lots of paper (Barnes & Noble uses wrapping paper during Mini Maker Fair), and chisel-tipped markers to start playing - I suggest RED, GREEN, and BLACK/BLUE. Red marks in a pathway mean "stop"; green means "go"; black is the pathway. You can play with different combinations of red, green, and blue to switch the bot on & off as you get used to the physical play.

You do not need more than one to start up, but they make it fun when you get to more complex levels of code.

For Ozobot EVO, it's similar with the addition of an app, stickers, and other tools in the box.

Hope this helps!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

so a roll of white paper like what you might have on an easel would be a good thing to have on hand? Sounds like 2 would be fun but I might just go with 1 because I dont want to spend double.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

logan's mom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by khalloc View Post
    so a roll of white paper like what you might have on an easel would be a good thing to have on hand? Sounds like 2 would be fun but I might just go with 1 because I dont want to spend double.
    Yes. Get the roll of paper. I know Sam's Club had some superhero themed Ozobots over the summer.

Thanks. Amazon had the Ozobot EVO for $79.99 I bought one. Sounds like it comes with markers and what not. DS has a iPad Mini 4 so I am assuming that will work for programming the robot. I'll also look into picking up a roll of paper.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by khalloc View Post
    so a roll of white paper like what you might have on an easel would be a good thing to have on hand? ...
    Yes.

We have a roll of IKEA easel paper that we use for everything; it'd be perfect for Ozobots.

If he decides to do the "offline" programs, tell him to make his lines nice & thick. They have trouble "reading" skinny lines.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle