Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    newmomto1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default What size Instant Pot??

We are a family of 4. I was going to get the 8 quart but I cannot find it anywhere.
    Is a 6 quart big enough??
    TIA!!

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I have the 6 and it works quite well for us ( family of 4 at home 2 are away at grad school) If I ever need to replace it I'll go bigger but there isn't a need right now.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

umsh is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Yep 6 is probably good for you, the 6 is our main Instant Pot (though we have all the sizes), and we’re a family of 5. And I usually cook to have leftovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    I have the 6 and it works quite well for us ( family of 4 at home 2 are away at grad school) If I ever need to replace it I'll go bigger but there isn't a need right now.
    I have the 6 as well. There are 4 of us and I like leftovers. I *could* do larger and frequently fill it to capacity (I usually double recipes) but it works well for us. I use it all the time.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have a 6 and it's fine for at least 4 adult sized portions and leftovers. I regularly cook 4lbs of meat or a whole chicken. If you do big batch cooking the 8 might be nice but for regular meals the 6 should be fine.

At this point I'd take a second 6 over a larger one because it would be nice to make seperate rice or beans at the same time as a meat based main.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post
    We have a 6 and it's fine for at least 4 adult sized portions and leftovers. I regularly cook 4lbs of meat or a whole chicken. If you do big batch cooking the 8 might be nice but for regular meals the 6 should be fine.

At this point I'd take a second 6 over a larger one because it would be nice to make seperate rice or beans at the same time as a meat based main.
    In all honesty I’ve thought about getting a second 6 — seems like overkill but really would use it — sometimes to do a double batch and sometimes to do a second item. Crazy I know.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

I have the 6 qt and it’s perfectly fine for us as a family of 4. Often have leftovers too. Like pp said above, I can fit a chicken, half rack of ribs, or 4–6 lb of roast in it easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

I asked this question a few weeks ago and will share my experience. I have had the 6 for a few years and LOOVE it. We are a family of 5, with a teen boy and an almost teen girl - the boy eats a LOT and DH likes to take leftovers for lunches every day, so I cook large batches. I found it to be large enough *most* of the time. The only times when it wasn't was making things like chili, soup, or stew. Since you can only fill the IP about 2/3 the 6 is really only a 4 qt in practical terms so I felt like it wasn't big enough. I debated selling it and replacing with an 8 but hadn't made the move yet. When I asked here most people said to stick with the 6, the 8 is too big, takes too long to come to pressure/depressurize, etc. Then my MIL ordered herself an 8 and decided it was way too huge for the 2 of them so she traded her 8 for my 6. I've used it probably 5 times in the 2 weeks I've had it and haven't noticed it to be much of an issue at all. Yes, it does take longer to come to pressure and depressurize but not insanely longer. I've made all of my previous recipes just exactly the same as before and haven't had any problems. The only thing I've notiecd is when I use it to steam tamales (Costco premade) I needed more water because it ran dry with the 1c I used in the 6. My only peeve about the 8 is that the cord is MUCH shorter than my old Duo6 was and it drives me a little crazy since I can't place the IP where I usually do on the counter (I like to keep it away from cabinets so the steam doesn't damage the finish). Not a huge deal but it does bother me.

All that to say- it depends on how you cook. If you tend to do a lot of large batch cooking of things like soup and stew and like leftovers then you may want the 8. If not then the 6 is probably more than adequate. I wouldn't worry about the supposed negatives of the larger size, though, if you do decide to go that route. The difference isn't enough to be bothersome.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Tonight I made bone in chicken thighs in the 6. I cooked a whole package - 6 thighs. I didn’t eat. We ran out of food. I wish I had the 8!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by newmomto1 View Post
    We are a family of 4. I was going to get the 8 quart but I cannot find it anywhere.
    Is a 6 quart big enough??
    TIA!!
    For a family of 4, I would think the 6 would be perfect. We have a family of 6, with a 6 qt and have never had an issue with it not being big enough.
    Melissa
    DS 09/00
    DD 03/03
    DD 08/05
    DS 12/09

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast