Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default ISO warm boots for Chicago

Need some warm, water-resistant, decent for walking, won't cost me an arm and a leg boots that DD (age 14, women's size 7-7.5) can wear when we are in Chicago/Detroit. Quick ship and free returns of course. THX for any recommendations and links!

XO

Live in Chicago and can’t say enough about my Sorel boots. I think they have an odd name like “Joan of Arctic”...

What are you going to be doing and how long will you be there? I live outside of the Detroit area and I end up wearing my snow boots about 5 days out of the winter. I only really need them if we do something actually in the snow like sledding, or right after a big snow. Once things get plowed and shoveled, there is no real need for boots just to go from a car to a building. Most of the time, I get by with my danskos - they have enough coverage to keep my feet dry. If you'll be doing a lot of walking in downtown Chicago, I can see needing boots though - things get slushy and that's when you really need boots. We are getting about 4" of snow today and it looks like it is going to stick around for the holidays. Last year, we had no snow for Christmas.
    In terms of what to buy, Sorels are great but $$$. I have Keens that I got on an Amazon deal. You might look at REI Garage and see if you find anything there.

athompson is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I live here and I have these:
    https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/sp...ck-boot/395850
    They keep my feet warm/dry, are comfortable and I can also wear them when it is not snowing!

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by athompson View Post
    I live here and I have these:
    https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/sp...ck-boot/395850
    They keep my feet warm/dry, are comfortable and I can also wear them when it is not snowing!
    These are a great choice! Sorels are my goto but these work well. Another option that I see a lot here - Hunter rain boot with the Hunter liner sock.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

cvanbrunt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Chicago 'burb dweller and I wear these most of the time:
    https://www.zappos.com/p/sorel-slimp...0/color/212829

and these when it is stupid cold:
    https://www.zappos.com/p/ugg-brooks-...975962/color/6
    Carrie

DD#1 September 2005
    DD#2 October 2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    What are you going to be doing and how long will you be there? I live outside of the Detroit area and I end up wearing my snow boots about 5 days out of the winter. I only really need them if we do something actually in the snow like sledding, or right after a big snow. Once things get plowed and shoveled, there is no real need for boots just to go from a car to a building. Most of the time, I get by with my danskos - they have enough coverage to keep my feet dry. If you'll be doing a lot of walking in downtown Chicago, I can see needing boots though - things get slushy and that's when you really need boots. We are getting about 4" of snow today and it looks like it is going to stick around for the holidays. Last year, we had no snow for Christmas.
    In terms of what to buy, Sorels are great but $$$. I have Keens that I got on an Amazon deal. You might look at REI Garage and see if you find anything there.
    Interesting. I'm outside Detroit too. I wore boots to Meijer today when it was snowing. Not a lot of snow fell, but it was enough to make the parking lot slushy. My sneakers would have left me wet. I wear boots quite often in the winter, but we aren't very urban, so it takes a while to plow.
    Kris

Another Michigander - agreeing that slush is more of the issue than frigid cold unless you are going to be outside playing in the snow. My kids wear Bogs - they are a very trustworthy brand for never leaking. They are insulated for cold too, but they easily double as regular rain boots in warm weather. If she's an adult 7, she should fit in the cheaper Kids size version. e.g. http://www.bogsfootwear.com/shop/style/52065A-001.html

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

WNY'er and I swear by my Bogs. Love them.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    In Mich, DD always wants to play with her younger cousins in the snow, making snowmen, sledding, running around. we live in CA so playing in the snow with cousins is fun for DD even though she is older. *I* can get by with just my shoes, but DD needs boots.

In Chicago, we will be tourists. so even though it's cold, i imagine we will be walking some out in the weather. Not a ton cuz it's still COLD, but way more than i'll want to be. YUCK
    Last edited by fauve01; 12-12-2017 at 12:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast