Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I put aside 30-60 minutes to read each night. If a book is awesome, I’ll read all weekend.
    I have a Kindle Paperwhite. I have the Kindle app on my phone. It’d be rare to be without access to a book for me.
    I read this much even when the kids were little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't do audiobooks, but I have an extensive selection of novels, nonfic, memoirs, etc. in several formats so I always have something to read when I know I'll be out & about and waiting somewhere.

This year, I think I've read 3-4 per month, depending on length and format.

I mostly read at bedtime or when DD is getting ready for school. (I set timers for the pre-school schedule to keep us on track - I have alarms at 7:45a and 8:15a. DD eats breakfast at 7a, then we go back to bed 'til 7:45a (brush teeth & get dressed), and are out the door for the bus at the 8:15a alarm. At bedtime, I read a couple chapters to unwind after putting DD to bed at 8pm.)

I have both the eReader (Nook) and a few clip-on book lights (and plenty of batteries!) to use depending on which format I want to deal with that day. I was using the eReader a lot for the waiting room at DD's speech therapist, for example, because I could just toss it into my bag with my purse as we went out the door. I have a bunch of books on there that I need to read, so they'll likely be my vacation books.

At home, I've been working my way through physical books, both from my personal library and checked out from the county system.

I set my summer reading to have a "theme" so, I read several books that inspired Broadway shows: War Paint (about cosmetics entrepreneurs Elizabeth Arden & Helena Rubenstein); Fun Home (Alison Bechdel's memoir of family, queerness, and loss); and War and Peace (a slice of which inspired the gorgeous musical Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812)

I'm currently in the middle of an author binge so I can get myself current in The Dresden Files. When I'm done, I'll be roughly 3 books behind, which isn't as bad as I thought I was.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

I probably average 15 books a month. I'm a librarian
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Well I just looked at my GoodReads and I've read 34 books this year (though I'm sure I'll finish the one I'm reading now so it'll be 35). I'm so so so impressed with some of the really high numbers people have said!

After having my first DD I probably didn't read (other than a parenting book or two in desperation, lol) anything for the first year of her life. Then I got my first Kindle and it has made a HUGE difference in how much I read. I get the whole "I love a real book" thing, but the Kindle is just so much more portable and manageable that I find myself able to read a lot more with it, especially because it allows me to read in dark rooms/places where others are sleeping. I occasionally read during the day/in the evenings, but not much because there's so much else to do. I don't read for long periods, but I do read a little bit every day and it adds up. I always read: when I'm putting DD2 down for nap -- I sit with her for a few minutes as she's falling asleep and read then; while I brush my teeth and floss; for a few minutes in bed after we turn out the light.

I probably shouldn't doing the reading in bed thing b/c I'll stay up later than I should if the book is good, but I have trouble starting to read earlier in the night as it always feels like there's something else I need to get done.
    Lizi

I am in school FT with 3 kids 6 and under and I've read over 50 books this year. I set the goal low due to being in school. I read before I fall asleep most night and usually read 2 or so books on weekends. I read more when I'm stressed so it has really helped me stay sane this past year. I also listened to audiobooks in the car on my commute.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Oh good Lord! Between the kids' needs and the dying brain cells, I have the attention span of a gnat!!! I read lots of magazines--Smithsonian, National Graphic, and yes, People. But books?? If I read 2-4 books a year, I am good. I don't read to go to sleep. DH does, he reads quite a bit. But he is home when the rest of us are asleep or are at school etc. Don't stress this--or just listen to audiobooks.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3