Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Managing practice space with multiple instruments

If you have multiple people in your house who play instruments, where do they practice and store their instruments? DD1 plays cello, DD2 plays flute and a keyboard, and DS wants to play viola next year. All three current instruments have always been practiced in our living room, and now the kids are storing them there too, plus a music stand and chair for the keyboard, and it's getting too crowded.

Has anyone had success getting kids to move where they practice to their bedroom? My children have messy rooms and do nothing in their rooms except sleep usually, so it's not a spot they gravitate too. How can I change their habits? Our family room is used constantly and the location of our only TV, so that's a bad spot. We have a little used guest room, but the kids don't like it because it's windowless and heavily dominated by the bed. It is a nice, warm room though. That would be my choice, but I do understand the sense of being relegated to a small and distant room.

In addition, my girls don't like to put their instruments away. I kind of get why zipping up and moving the big cello is a pain, but think it's very lazy for DD2 to not put a simple flute away, but if it helps her practice more, I might be able to stomach it being out. Flute stands apparently go on the floor and the flute juts upright from a rod that goes inside one end of the flute. Is this a good idea? Seems like it might get kicked as it is low to the ground. DD1 is likely to get a cello stand for Christmas, but I admit bias, as the cello in a stand is beautiful and I might be willing to keep it in the living room for that reason. But a flute at foot-to-knee height seems weird.

Ideas?
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

I played flute through high school, and would not use a flute stand as a storage option - like you said, too easy to get kicked! IME, flute stands are to hold the flute for a few minutes while the person is playing a different instrument (piccolo in my case). I kept my flute in its case, since I had to take it back and forth to school every day, and practiced in my room. My kids keep their instruments in their room and practice there. DH is a musician and keeps his guitars in our room in their cases. Wooden stringed instruments need to be kept at the proper humidity levels so the wood doesn't get too dry (prone to cracking). We live in a dry climate so DH has to take special care with his acoustic guitar - just something to consider as you decide where/how to store your kids stringed instruments.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

A flute needs to be dried after each use or the pads will start to deteriorate over time. Other than that there is no real reason not to leave it out (as far as care of the instrument--your family's space is a different issue). Is there a shelf that might be safer, and make it more of a display item akin to the cello?
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We practiced in our own bedrooms when I as a kid (violin), except for piano, where I HAD to practice in the family room. We don't have orchestra at our school district (yes, I know, it's pathetic), only band, and my two who play, both practice in their bedrooms and that's fine, because brass instruments are LOUD! We have two music stands.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Two cellos (half size and full size) over here. And neither one has a problem putting it away after every practice and neither is a neat nor disciplined kid. They need to put the instruments away or be responsible for any damage caused to them. Unless you have a large area, a cello on a stand is going to look just as bulky as one in a case (though, yes, prettier).

As for practice area, they stay mainly in our living room. I like to hear the practice and know that they are putting in best effort. I'm not sure that would happen if they did practice where I couldn't hear them, meaning doing a half-effort practice. So, we have one corner with two cellos and two music stands. I have folders of music on the ledge under my table. Whatever. If it gets them to practice and love their instrument, it's fine with me. When we have people coming over, they just put them into their rooms.

Bedroom! But Dd plays percussion so we have a xylophone and snare drum in her room.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

DS1 practices trombone in his bedroom. He does have a stand and uses it on weekends if he plans to practice both days.

DD practices her flute in the family room or her bedroom. Her cello just moved to the music studio in the basement and she is getting a stand for that. She plays piano both in the family room and basement, but she is just playing that for fun. Any other instruments are played in the basement. She had been playing cello in the family room but there just isn't a good spot for it.
    Kris

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Since your guest bedroom is hardly used, I would remove the bed and make it into a music room or multi purpose room for your family. Take advantage of the space you have. Add different lighting/wall prints/paint color to make it more inviting to your kids. Find a different alternative to the bed when guest come, ie inflatable bed that can be put away when not needed. Or put a couch in there that has a fold away bed. Sounds like your family could make great use of that room.

eta, a bonus of a separate room is that you can close the door and not see the mess the kids left behind

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Our dining room is like a band room right now with 4 band instruments and a piano. I find they practice more if the instrument is out/available.

If you have a spot that is out of the way for the flute, the stand is fine. For example, we have a corner next to the piano which is out of any traffic patterns. They make wall-mounted ones as well.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We do keep the girls instruments out and in the living room. I have a hard enough time to get them to practice as it is. I like them out because then I can encourage them to practice for a few minutes here and there. When DD1 played the trumpet we did keep it in the case because the trumpet stands like the flute stands aren't particularly safe. Now she keeps her electric bass and amp in the living room but her never played guitar stays in her room. DD2 recently switched from violin to drums. We keep her practice pad in the living room but if she ever gets a full drum set, that will go in her room. We have a colorful music stand and a basket for music books. It isn't as pretty as it could be but it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast