Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default What do I get MIL for Christmas?

DH and I are really struggling with a Christmas idea for MIL. She's very set in her ways and doesn't like to stray from them. I can't get her a picture of the kids or anything like that because she only has specific pictures frames she puts pictures in and doesn't like anything else. She's a big foodie and eats out probably 95% of her meals. We thought about gift cards to restaurants but that just seems so generic. So now we're focused on food baskets, but we're not finding anything really great. She has diverticulitis and diabetes. So that rules out popcorn, nuts, and a lot of sweets. She doesn't like fruit so that rules out a fruit basket. I thought about coffee of the month club because she can't live without a pot of coffee in the morning, but she won't stray from her folgers. Does anyone have any suggestions??? I know someone out there has something that we can get. Please help!!

Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm in the same boat - they must be related. Oh, except mine will not allow a coffee pot in the house because she doesn't like the smell of it.... so only tea from a particular stainless steel stovepot tea pot. I'm done with the generic gifts that she pretends to like, then i think gives them away.

I'm thinking i just may have the kids MAKE her something this year - then call it a day. it's too hard.

Hopefully SOMEONE has a good suggestion for you.

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

OH Bakery has a fairly large range of no-added-sugar treats. I can't speak to whether those specific items they're good, but their Kringle has become a holiday tradition in my family.

https://store.ohdanishbakery.com/special-dietary-needs

Zingerman's deli also has a lot of interesting foods that you MIL might like. We've sent their Reuban Sandwich kit as a present before, and it was very well-received.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

Pear is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would give nice photos without frames if you have photos you would like to gift.

Is her Christmas tree particularly styled or does she allow eclectic ornaments? We got the grands ornaments with child artwork this year.

If she is a foodie in the sense of seeking out the best of food, maybe a bbq delivery from Joes Kansas City.

zingerman's! There has to be something that would work from them.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

flower arrangement or plant
    zingermans agree is great
    a new coffee maker?
    a subscription to a food magazine (bon appetite or test kitchen)
    I think a gift card to a hot new restaurant she'd want to try is lovely -- maybe with printed reviews from opentable or yelp or tripadvisor (the good reviews!)
    a zagat's book for her area
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

What about a photobook? My in laws and parents love those.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

Jeanne is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If you have a Trader Joes nearby, make a basket for her with things she'll like. World Market also has a nice selection of Intl foods and quirky things that are not commonly found in normal grocery stores.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey0709 View Post
    I'm in the same boat - they must be related. Oh, except mine will not allow a coffee pot in the house because she doesn't like the smell of it.... so only tea from a particular stainless steel stovepot tea pot. I'm done with the generic gifts that she pretends to like, then i think gives them away.

I'm thinking i just may have the kids MAKE her something this year - then call it a day. it's too hard.

Hopefully SOMEONE has a good suggestion for you.
    It's so fun isn't it! I honestly wish we'd just stop exchanging gifts. It such a waste because I know she throws them away or they sit in her attic. We sent her a photo blanket last year and she won't put it out because it doesn't match the decor of her house (and I intentionally picked one that had the exact same colors as her living room).

Quote Originally Posted by Pear View Post
    I would give nice photos without frames if you have photos you would like to gift.

Is her Christmas tree particularly styled or does she allow eclectic ornaments? We got the grands ornaments with child artwork this year.

If she is a foodie in the sense of seeking out the best of food, maybe a bbq delivery from Joes Kansas City.
    We can't do photos because I don't know the proper size of her frames. She has a certain frame for each kid and each family and she will only put that specific size on display. I tried this once and got it all wrong, even though I just went from the sizes that she already had displayed. She doesn't put a tree up either. But the BBQ is a good thought! She does love the best food. When she goes on vacation, the only thing she talks about it all of the restaurants she ate at!

Quote Originally Posted by LBW View Post
    What about a photobook? My in laws and parents love those.
    She only wants pictures of the kids if she's in them!

Some great ideas though for food options. I will be looking into them and hopefully we can find something! The reuben kit is a great idea, as I know she loves rueben. I didn't really want to spend that much on her, but I may do it.

Photo album from Shutterfly
    Subscription to favorite recipe magazines?
    Just give her updated photos of your kids for her to put in her own frames.
    Experience trip? Does she enjoy theatre? Tickets to a play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast