Default Questions for a new school?

We are thinking of moving cities. I don't know anyone in the new area but schools are important to us. It's a relatively small town with only one high school. There are several elementary schools though.
    What are some good questions to ask? ( especially the high school). I will be taking a tour soon. I know the "ratings" of the schools but I know that only goes so far. We are unhappy with the education that is being offered at our current schools.

Tia!
    Mama to 3

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd start with why you're unhappy with your current schools -- what are they doing (or not doing) that bothers you? Is it specific to that school, or a systemic issue that might also happen in your new location?

And, of course, note the things that are going well at your kids's schools; things you'd like to keep if possible.

Those things together may help you get a list of questions to ask. Unfortunately, school decisions are so personal that it's hard to just make a list of questions someone else may want to ask.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

jenstring95 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would ask about homework policies, recess (for elementary), curriculum (Common Core? types and frequencies of standardized testing?), fine arts programs (ex. our district has no orchestra program - only band), graduation rate (probably available online), bullying policies, AP courses available (if desired), types of assistance for college and job placement, class sizes, counselor to student ratios, maybe average SAT/ACT scores of students? I'm sure there are many more. It's difficult to know where to begin, but maybe you can talk to current students and their parents to get an idea of how they feel. Perhaps there is a website or FB page that you could look at to see what types of activities and discussions are occurring. Sadly, too, I think you need to ask about suicides. This has been a big issue in our community lately, and it needs to be addressed and not swept under the rug.

Thanks! One of the biggest issues is that our children aren't progressing well. The school seems happy with getting kids to pass their state tests & that's it. My kids are in g/t but getting no g/t at all. The teacher
    Seems overwhelmed & she said she just didn't know how she was going to teach g/t so
    It hasn't happened (even though from what I've researched its state mandated ) Communication from principal is non existent.
    Mama to 3