Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Update in OP- I'm just stuck on a BIL gift. Any ideas?

Thanks all! I went with the portable charger thing and a book of dad jokes/ puns. That plus the Hydroflask (and lots of gift receipts) and I am DONE!

My stupid idea was Secret Santa with dh's family- stupid because I got the hardest person to shop for!! I got my sister in law's husband. I really like him. Great guy. Horrible to buy for. A few years ago we bought him a bottle of local vodka...heard him trash talking it to his wife when he thought they were somewhere out of ear shot. Last year, I got an Under Armor hoodie- that he asked for- and when we went down to visit them a month after Christmas, it was sitting with tags still on in what appeared to be the "go back" pile. Over the years, I don't think I've successfully picked anything for him whether he gives ideas or not. We have a budget of $75. I am down to $50 to spend after buying him a Hydro Flask tumbler (he loves icy cold drinks).

Things I know: He buys a lot for himself. They have an Amazon Dot that they use. He likes to take their dog for walks and to the dog park. He lives somewhere that has winter (but usually on the mild side). He has a baby (I was thinking about a "Letters to My Son" book but that's only $12 so I'll still need ideas). He enjoys playing board games when we're all together but I am not sure he and his wife ever play when it's just the 2 of them. He enjoys Catan, Machi Koro, Exploding Kittens, Plants vs Zombies and poker. He likes coffee but he didn't even seem to like the fabulous freshly roasted local coffee I bought him. I have no idea what kinds of food he likes (I have no idea how I don't know this!). He travels a lot but they are often up and back in the same day trips between 2 major cities. Their house is tiny and getting more full by the minute so something unobtrusive is necessary. He's not really into techy stuff. Definitely not into "geeky" stuff. He doesn't cook but their kitchen is well stocked anyway.

I've officially driven myself crazy looking at a million websites and gift lists. I haven't found a single thing that clicks. I need ideas, pretty please! Again, I have $50, it can't be big and he's super hard to shop for. I don't want our secret Santa to turn into a gift card exchange otherwise that's what I'd do!
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 12-13-2017 at 03:25 PM.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    My stupid idea was Secret Santa with dh's family- stupid because I got the hardest person to shop for!! I got my sister in law's husband. I really like him. Great guy. Horrible to buy for. A few years ago we bought him a bottle of local vodka...heard him trash talking it to his wife when he thought they were somewhere out of ear shot. Last year, I got an Under Armor hoodie- that he asked for- and when we went down to visit them a month after Christmas, it was sitting with tags still on in what appeared to be the "go back" pile. Over the years, I don't think I've successfully picked anything for him whether he gives ideas or not. We have a budget of $75. I am down to $50 to spend after buying him a Hydro Flask tumbler (he loves icy cold drinks).

Things I know: He buys a lot for himself. They have an Amazon Dot that they use. He likes to take their dog for walks and to the dog park. He lives somewhere that has winter (but usually on the mild side). He has a baby (I was thinking about a "Letters to My Son" book but that's only $12 so I'll still need ideas). He enjoys playing board games when we're all together but I am not sure he and his wife ever play when it's just the 2 of them. He enjoys Catan, Machi Koro, Exploding Kittens, Plants vs Zombies and poker. He likes coffee but he didn't even seem to like the fabulous freshly roasted local coffee I bought him. I have no idea what kinds of food he likes (I have no idea how I don't know this!). He travels a lot but they are often up and back in the same day trips between 2 major cities. Their house is tiny and getting more full by the minute so something unobtrusive is necessary. He's not really into techy stuff. Definitely not into "geeky" stuff. He doesn't cook but their kitchen is well stocked anyway.

I've officially driven myself crazy looking at a million websites and gift lists. I haven't found a single thing that clicks. I need ideas, pretty please! Again, I have $50, it can't be big and he's super hard to shop for. I don't want our secret Santa to turn into a gift card exchange otherwise that's what I'd do!
    Honestly, I would put a $50 Starbucks GC in his HF and leave it at that. I would be miffed that they made fun of my previous gift. But I am petty, I fully admit it. Can you ask your sister or SIL for ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by squimp View Post
    Honestly, I would put a $50 Starbucks GC in his HF and leave it at that. I would be miffed that they made fun of my previous gift. But I am petty, I fully admit it. Can you ask your sister or SIL for ideas?
    It’s been a few years and I’ve taken a deep breath about his past complaint. But, I definitely would have rather been buying for anyone else! Gift card is my last resort. I’ve given myself to the end of the day to just be done with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

A portable charger! Love this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Stick with the drink theme and get him a Yeti Rambler?

Buy [whatever] for $50 and include a gift receipt, assume he'll return it.

Vow next year to skip the adult gift exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by mackmama View Post
    Ooh! I was thinking about something like that but hadn’t seen anything as cool as that!

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'd say ask SIL but it's probably supposed to be a secret who you have, right?
    Tickets to some kind of event that he and his wife could go to? Sports team memorabilia? Omaha steaks gift box?
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    I'd say ask SIL but it's probably supposed to be a secret who you have, right?
    Tickets to some kind of event that he and his wife could go to? Sports team memorabilia? Omaha steaks gift box?
    I wish I could ask. I started an email chain for folks to put wish list stuff but no one replied. Odds are I’m the only one shopping this early.
    Thanks for the ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post
    Stick with the drink theme and get him a Yeti Rambler?

Buy [whatever] for $50 and include a gift receipt, assume he'll return it.

Vow next year to skip the adult gift exchange.
    I almost bought a hydro flask for coffee but didn’t like the reviews. I actually liked the 2 drink container idea. Thanks for the suggestions!

Yeah, with the past two gifts, I'd get a Contigo mug and coffee card for wherever he goes (Starbucks, local place, Dunkin Donuts?).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast