bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Bad air quality and football?

The fire is still raging to the north of me. It has moved farther and farther away from my neighborhood but it is only 20% contained and latest estimate is that it will not be fully extinguished until Christmas. Still so much damage to cause and I still have friends that are worried about their homes!

My immediate concern is much less severe and is that they keep cancelling and moving DS1's semi-final game for the intramural football league. The air quality is just not getting any better. Am I crazy to be concerned that DS will be playing in air quality that might not get better for a few weeks? I feel like moving the games (just two days away each time) is awfully optimistic of them. Or maybe we're all overreacting. What do you think? They're not letting kids out at recess and we're all advised to stay indoors. The visible quality of the air ebbs and flows with the wind. Sometimes it smells like an ash tray outside and sometimes it LOOKS clear enough but is supposed to still be bad.

These games have become a major hassle for our family and I guess I'm frustrated by having to plan babysitting for the little kids (since they're not supposed to be outside) so I can attend the big kids' games only to have them cancel and reschedule...

I know in the circumstances these are first world problems. People I know have lost everything they own. Still, the uncertainty that this fire brings about health issues is concerning to me!

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The air is still pretty bad here, but they have been sending kids out for recess because it is way better than last week. I wouldn’t want my kid out playing football for several hours in this weather. I would think that at some point they would just cancel the game, if they can’t make it up in a reasonable amount of time. It’s getting to the point that with schools ending this week many families may be leaving for out of town trips and not even able to go to the make up game.

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

***This opinion is colored by people with asthma and other breathing issues that live in an area where air quality is pretty crappy fairly often.***

I would NOT go because you can do substantial damage to lungs by prolonged exposure to that kind of air quality and I have a child that has lung damage from un- diagnosed asthma and I would not wish that on anyone (particularly a child with other medical issues. Maybe I'm wrong but doesn't he have diabetes?)

Just my $0.02.
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would NOT have him play. This SoCal and recent NorCal fires are some of the worse in recorded history. What's burning is not 'just' forest but homes with insulation, asbestos, metal, cars, gasoline, etc... Think about everything in the air. I'd keep a watch on airnow.gov, but I'd also err on the side of safety even if that site shows only yellow. The wind can shift so quickly so what might be yellow at the start of a game could easily be orange later.

Quote Originally Posted by mackmama View Post
    I would NOT have him play. This SoCal and recent NorCal fires are some of the worse in recorded history. What's burning is not 'just' forest but homes with insulation, asbestos, metal, cars, gasoline, etc... Think about everything in the air. I'd keep a watch on airnow.gov, but I'd also err on the side of safety even if that site shows only yellow. The wind can shift so quickly so what might be yellow at the start of a game could easily be orange later.
    Thank you for that site. I hadn’t seen that before. Thankfully we are “only” orange right now but I can also see that MIL only 20 miles away is green! I think a field trip is in order. The kids are feeling awfully cooped up!

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Thank you for that site. I hadn’t seen that before. Thankfully we are “only” orange right now but I can also see that MIL only 20 miles away is green! I think a field trip is in order. The kids are feeling awfully cooped up!
    To put it into perceptive, orange is significantly bad air. You shouldn't be outside in orange air and definitely not doing any sports.
    Green/yellow = outside.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaGirl View Post
    ***This opinion is colored by people with asthma and other breathing issues that live in an area where air quality is pretty crappy fairly often.***

I would NOT go because you can do substantial damage to lungs by prolonged exposure to that kind of air quality and I have a child that has lung damage from un- diagnosed asthma and I would not wish that on anyone (particularly a child with other medical issues. Maybe I'm wrong but doesn't he have diabetes?)

Just my $0.02.
    Yes to this, sadly. Not worth it.
    K

School is cancelled again today so no game. Thanks all!