rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default flour sack towels good for drying dishes?

We have some terry cloth hand towels we use for drying dishes. However, while present shopping for a friend I found several flour sack towels that are really cute. DS helped me pick a few out (and I'll buy them for her whether useful or not) but we also found one DH might like and one DS really likes. We don't have room for just decorative towels in our kitchen, we need towels that are useful for drying dishes. Hence my question. They don't look like they would dry dishes well.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

No, I don't like them for much of anything except for wringing out potatoes for latkes once a year.

The best dish towels I have found are Williams-Sonoma. I won't buy anything else now. Classic striped are my favorite: https://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...s&isx=0.0.2300

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I was going to say that they're great for drying dishes before I read candaceb's post. Now I'm wondering if the dish towels I'm thinking of are flour sack towels. The towels that I *thought* were flour sack are some of my favorites for drying dishes! lol I have some of the ones that candaceb linked to, too, and they work well but they're not my favorite.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    No, I don't like them for much of anything except for wringing out potatoes for latkes once a year.

The best dish towels I have found are Williams-Sonoma. I won't buy anything else now. Classic striped are my favorite: https://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...s&isx=0.0.2300
    these are always the highest ranked towels. wirecutter likes them too as does america's test kitchen
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I use most of my 10-year-old flour sack towels to dry my hair now.

For dishes, I have a decent mix of woven and terrycloth ones, but W-S looks pretty awesome.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Ok, thanks.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.