Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

So here is how the day went. We drove in kinda bad weather to the ILs house in rural area. Roads weren't that bad. Get to ILs driveway, which is long, and they didn't bother to plow (they have a plow that attaches to their ride on mower, so it isn't hard. And SIL was staying there, so surely she could so it..,except they expect nothing from her). So after getting stuck twice in their driveway and DH having to push us out, I was in a mood. I told them that it wasn't very considerate to expect people to drive out there and not at least try to let them get in safely. Then SILs hubby brought his very old mom, who had to walk through the snow and up a slight incline to get in.

Food was the typical bleh mish-mash. Cheap cheese and sausage, random foods, nothing that makes anything look like a "meal" (there was ham, potato salad, mashed potatoes, meatballs, brussel sprouts, cod, and minestrone soup). I'm someone who really tries to make holidays special and like to cook, so I know that I can be judgey about this lol I received a gift card not filled out for Christmas and a matching gift card for my bday, but MIL "lost the card." Then we received our gift of fire extinguishers. Yep. But SILs mil (the older woman) likes to shop from tv and gave me a very nice body lotion, which I truly appreciate (I didn't know that she was going to be there and feel bad that I didn't have anything for her. I've probably met this lady five times)

Fortunately, all the kids get along well and make things fun, so I stuck by them. I tried to carry a baby at all times lol After 4 hours we called it.

And then we received the guilt call this morning about why we aren't joining them again today (we used to spend Christmas Day with my parents and since they passed away, we just stay home and have our usual special breakfast and now I make the traditional dinner from my childhood). Their other children spend days at their house, despite living 20 minutes and 45 minutes away. No way in heck is that happening.

I was just happy that my kids behaved. They had their best manners, ate really well, and were good with the little kids. So ILs didn't have a damn thing to judge. Another year over....

Thanks for commiserating.

phew!!! a sigh of relief!! screw the guilt call!!!

We have SIL leaving tomorrow and I;m supposed to work half a day. Glad it is all over. I am happy that all the food I ha planned out/cooked turned out ok. Just glad its over and am thinking ahead 5-10 years to what I will do without grandparents and us with grown kids. sigh. happiness.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by icunurse View Post
    And I have been telling DH for months that I am running out of f@cks to give with people, so the filter is thinning out. You can be respectful, but also not be a doormat.
    You should definitely take this mug to the ILs house to drink your wine.

Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2