Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

A friend of mine said the following while I was griping about my ILs "there just is no explaining some people". This has become my new mantra. Cuz really, its true!!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    I forgot to mention that they like to bring their own food too, that they eat without offering some to anyone else. Like tonight they cooked up some shrimp and divided it evenly between their family members only.
    Wow. I'm scratching my head at this one. This is very rude.

Pear is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

If we were taking Dd to a gift exchange where she isn’t included, we would bring a gift for her to open too. Do the adults really open Christmas gifts in front of the kids who get nothing? That is bizarre.

I'd go with weird. To do this year after year knowing what the norm is is just passive aggressive and self centered.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Pear View Post
    If we were taking Dd to a gift exchange where she isn’t included, we would bring a gift for her to open too. Do the adults really open Christmas gifts in front of the kids who get nothing? That is bizarre.

The gift exchange is a little difficult because DH has 4 siblings married with kids and 3 younger unmarried brothers. So the gifts to married siblings are family gifts--games, family tickets to an event, a treat for the family to enjoy, etc-not adult specific gifts. So the kids are involved in opening and enjoying those gifts. Also MIL and FIL have a small gift for each grandchild to open, that is usually a toy of some kind. So I really can't see any reason why SIL's kids need extra gifts to open.
    Last edited by petesgirl; 12-26-2017 at 02:26 PM.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Doesn't MIL find this bizarre?? My mom would put a stop to that.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    I was wondering the same thing.

Also, what do the other married siblings with kids say? I can't believe someone hasn't spoken up. Someone in my family would have shut that down
    immediately!
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I just really do not understand these people who dole out gifts in front of people they have excluded from their gift giving. WTH is wrong with people?

I also don't get not confronting the person about it. If for no other reason than to be totally clear that the reason is that they are assholes, vs just being clueless or having some mistaken impression that it doesn't bother other people.

I know families are all strange, but it shocks me what people put up with without speaking up about it. Even if it won't change anything, why not at least call them on it?

That's just a lot of adults letting something go on and on that is totally rude and inappropriate.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    My MIL already has a strained relationship with SIL because MIL is very opinionated and SIL will totally blow up at the drop of a pin. I've witnessed some pretty gruesome exchanges between them and now I think MIL has just resorted to keeping the peace and walking on eggshells around SIL.
    Apparently nobody (including myself..since I'm venting about it here) has the backbone to say anything to her. And honestly, I don't know if it bothers anyone else; I haven't talked to anyone else about it and everyone seems perfectly happy to oblige her when she pulls out her kid's gifts.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2