Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Birthday party question

DC's birthday party is coming up. There are 32 kids in DC's 1st grade, and DC wants to invite all but 10 of the kids to the party. Can we do this? This will be our first year of not including everyone, and I don't want to burn any bridges or hurt feelings. At the same time, I want to honor (and understand) DC's wishes. Others have had parties this year where not everyone's invited, but they've been smaller parties.
    Last edited by mackmama; 12-28-2017 at 08:21 PM.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Nope, not ok imo. More than half you either need to pick all of one gender or go with the whole class. Or just make it a heck of a lot smaller. You can’t exclude 11 out 32. That’s too many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Nope, not ok imo. More than half you either need to pick all of one gender or go with the whole class. Or just make it a heck of a lot smaller. You can’t exclude 11 out 32. That’s too many.

Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What Beth said. Teachable moment for your child
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

At our school, the unwritten rule seems to be one of four options: You invite the whole class, less than half of the class, all of one gender, or less than half of one gender. I think the rule makes sense- no one feels excluded that way.
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

Yup, I agree. Either the whole class, only one gender, or no more than 6ish kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by mommy111 View Post
    What Beth said. Teachable moment for your child
    Think and talk about how your child would feel to be one of the small group excluded.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you are having 22 kids (which I think is way too many for a party that unless it's a huge venue and then really would she even get to interact with all of them), then you should invite all 32.

So either invite only the girls (which isn't always workable as some kids have an equal number of opposite gender friends) or have her pick 10 of her favorite friends.

I think if you leave out 10 you will find yourself in the middle of mess, not sure how the social structure is at the school, but this would not fly in many schools, as it would seem odd.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast