Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    newmomto1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Instant Pots...are they safe????

I have been hearing so may raves about the Instant Pot that I finally got one as a holiday gift for myselt
    It's been sitting here in the box...
    Figured I would unpack it and figure out how to use it after the kids go back to school.
    In the mean time...a heartbreaking story popped up on my newsfeed today about an Instant Pot that exploded and a little girl got severely burned.
    Apparently the woman using it did everything right re: venting it, realeasing the pressure??
    I am just wondering have you all heard of things like this happening?
    Sounds so scary!!
    I know nothing about these so before I open it up and use it I thought I would get some opinions...

Can you link to the article? I just googled and didn't find anything on the instant pot specifically.
    I have had one for more than a year with no problems. I love it. You do have to be careful with venting the steam, but microwave popcorn has the same hazard. It's common sense.
    Last edited by candaceb; 12-31-2017 at 11:59 AM.

newmomto1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    Can you link to the article? I just googled and didn't find anything on the instant lot specifically.
    I have had one for more than a year with no problems. I love it. You do have to be careful with venting the steam, but microwave popcorn has the same hazard. It's common sense.
    So I just went back to link the story but it has been removed.
    It was posted on FB with pics of the girls burns and everything!
    But I am wondering why it was removed???

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

They are very safe with many resident safety features but you do need to use common sense.

I googled pressure cooker toddler or child injury. Was it samantha gonzalez in florida? That appears to be a stovetop pressure cooker.

I have a IP and use it occasionally for bean-based stuff. Haven't found a recipe that my family likes despite many attempts. I'll admit I don't want my children in the room when I open it and I rarely use quick release, but not because I think it is defective. I just think pressure + heat = inherently iffy, and it takes 10 seconds to open so I would just rather do it when they are in the other room. And, of course, I have my mother's horror stories of using a PC and green peas stuck to the ceiling. But bottom line is I wouldn't use it either if I thought I would be harmed.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I just used my Instant Pot for the first time tonight and I feel it is very safe. I never had the guts to try a stovetop pressure cooker because I didn’t want the lid exploding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I saw mention of this on one of my IP groups. I don’t know the details but it was mentioned that they were pulling the lid off before releasing the pressure which would be a big no-no and next to impossible. Whatever happened it had to have been user error I believe. I just can’t believe it otherwise. Love my IP and am certain it is totally safe.

Hemlock is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I think I may have seen the same story on my newsfeed as the OP. If I recall correctly, the mother let her young child (8ish years old) open the lid of the Instant Pot. She had been cooking spinach or kale (?) which may have clogged the release valve and caused pressure/steam to escape when the lid was opened.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I saw it too. I can't remember which friend shared it though. It was kale she said she thought blocked the release valve or something. She was clear it was an IP and not a generic pressure cooker. The last name was not Gonzales so it was not that one. I don't know re the veracity of the story but there were pics of a girl in the hospital and in a bright pink burn compression shirt.
    Last edited by khm; 12-31-2017 at 11:39 AM.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I googled "instant pot explosion," just to see what I’d find. There were several links to explosions involving other brands (including one that a BBBer had received and was planning to return) AND at least one law firm looking for clients who had experienced IP explosion injuries. Unclear whether they were actually representing anyone who had been injured by an actual IP.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast