wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Cleaning with microfiber clothe?

Do you use microfiber to clean? Do you use specific cleansers with it? How do you keep the clothe from just pushing the dirt/dust/lint/hair around? Which side do I use...the smooth patterned side, the fiber side (like carpet fibers), both?

So we just bought a new stainless fridge and were told to only wipe down the exterior with microfiber or else it will scratch. So bought a big pack of clothes on Amazon for like $12. So now I have like a dozen or more clothes I can use around the house. I used one to clean a bathroom the other day using just water (the bathroom wasn't really that dirty, just needed a touch up) and I really really liked it but I found it kind of just pushed lint around...like on the back of the toilet where the kleenex box sits. It's like the damp fibers gathered all of that to one spot but the fibers didn't hold onto it to pick it up.

Tell me how to make the most out of these magic clothes!
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

jam224 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've found that not all microfiber is the same and I've used several different brands. Generally speaking, they all do the same job as a softer rag, but my favorite ones are made by e-cloth, which is a Norwex knockoff. I bought mine off Amazon, but I've seen them in Hallmark stores. They have different weaves for different jobs. They clean with just water. My absolute favorite water sprayer bottle came in a travel 3 pack from the Dollar Tree. Never leaks and has the best super fine mist, perfect for the microfiber cloths. Particularly for electronics, I like using the e-cloth because I feel like it grabs the dust better, instead of just pushing it around. The bonus is that I typically don't need any special cleaner sprays, which is great because I like to avoid chemicals as much as possible.
    Jennifer
    SAHM to DD1 (11yo) and DD2 (5yo)

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have the yellow Costco microfiber cloths (comes in a 24 pack) and have used them daily for years. I use them to clean the kitchen (counters, stove, dining table, appliances) every day using a mixture of half vinegar, half water. I wash them by themselves, on sanitary. Washing them by themselves is the most important thing to do to keep them lint free.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have found that i need to walk around with 2. One damp one, for example to clean the back of the toilet and push the dust and the second dry one behind it to pick it up. I do the same on my stainless frig. I use the cleaner and the first cloth in the direction of the grain and the second one to dry. With windows, I use one and the dry one behind it made especially for glass. It's important to wash and dry them without fabric softener. I love them! I even use them on the diagonal on my swiffer dry mop. Sometimes as a damp mop or other times I spray it with Endust after I vacuum to really clean my wood floors. Since we stopped using bar soap, thank you BBB, all I need to clean my tub is a spray of Scrubbing Bubbles and a quick wipe with a micro fiber cloth and rinse. Sparkling!

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jam224 View Post
    I've found that not all microfiber is the same and I've used several different brands. Generally speaking, they all do the same job as a softer rag, but my favorite ones are made by e-cloth, which is a Norwex knockoff. I bought mine off Amazon, but I've seen them in Hallmark stores. They have different weaves for different jobs. They clean with just water. My absolute favorite water sprayer bottle came in a travel 3 pack from the Dollar Tree. Never leaks and has the best super fine mist, perfect for the microfiber cloths. Particularly for electronics, I like using the e-cloth because I feel like it grabs the dust better, instead of just pushing it around. The bonus is that I typically don't need any special cleaner sprays, which is great because I like to avoid chemicals as much as possible.
    I bought some microfiber (I want to say zwipes?) from Amazon with great reviews and they drove me CRAZY. They picked up lint in the laundry and spread dirt like crazy. I finally tossed them and vowed to never do microfiber again.

I went to a Norwex party recently and I just couldn't swallow the price tag (plus I'm personally turned off by direct sales on principle). There were a couple other Norwex recs I couldn't buy into (only need to wash every month....WHAT?) plus their whole eco-friendly spiel was a little over the top considering microfiber sheds plastic into the water which is apparently profoundly damaging to the environment. I'm just skeptical in general I guess. Plus in the back of my mind I just couldn't fathom buying top of the line CLEANING supplies of all things when we are strapped for cash in other areas.
    However, I was still intrigued by the mechanical cleaning with less chemicals, etc so I started googling. I ended up buying the e-cloth household set from Amazon. This is the one I got: https://www.amazon.com/cloth-Home-Cl...ds=e-cloth+set
    *I found it in warehouse deals for about $30
    I did some reading on e-cloth and the only major difference I see in Norwex and ecloth is that ecloth no longer uses silver in their cloths. (I believe they still have a few industrial cloths that use silver) Since it is used just to prevent bacterial growth *on the cloth* I didn't care about that because I intend to wash my cloths frequently rather than once per month, etc. (because that just icks me out). The silver in Norwex does not kill bacteria on surfaces, just prevents it from growing on the cloth.

I really like the ecloth, particularly the window and polishing cloths. I bought a dollar store spray bottle, added water and it works great for mirrors and windows. I still feel like I need cleaning products for certain things, but I think these are great for daily cleaning like counters. I would agree that microfiber is not all made the same for sure. I still find them a little high maintenance since I am hesitant to wash them with other laundry to keep them lint free.