Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I guess the other thing I’m wondering is the wording of the exclusion-that it excludes special education for learning or behavioral disorder. Autism is a neurodevelopmental disorder; not a learning or behavioral disorder.

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We found that most social skills groups are not covered by insurance... ABA is covered by some policies...

Good luck!

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    We found that most social skills groups are not covered by insurance...
    Same findings here. But I was able to get speech therapy approved for pragmatic language development. Not the same as a social skills group, but the sessions covered a lot of the same skills development that is needed. It may even have been more effective than group sessions b/c it was targeted.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

NCGrandma is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    We found that most social skills groups are not covered by insurance... ABA is covered by some policies...

Good luck!
    Interesting...my family was successful in getting social skills groups covered by health insurance for both DGDs (with very different diagnoses).

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    Interesting...my family was successful in getting social skills groups covered by health insurance for both DGDs (with very different diagnoses).

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    I think it depends on the provider... and the insurance. All the social skills groups that DC attended stated that some insurances cover and they are always self-submit. NONE of our insurance covered any of the groups and I don't know anyone who had coverage.

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks for all the advice, ladies. Due to my husbands company being self-insured, they don’t have to provide autism coverage in our state. Thanks to the rec of seeking out a slp, I found a social thinking skills group sat a local college- mine and she’s alma matter actually. Obviously, this will be out of pocket, but it sounds like a good fit for him. DS is also on a waiting list for counseling at the office we were looking at for ABA therapy. I’m assuming counseling will be covered since psychology/ psychiatry is covered by our insurance, but I suppose I better double check.

Mommy_Mea is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by LBW View Post
    Same findings here. But I was able to get speech therapy approved for pragmatic language development. Not the same as a social skills group, but the sessions covered a lot of the same skills development that is needed. It may even have been more effective than group sessions b/c it was targeted.
    We are finding the same. The center that we are working with has DS1 there for speech therapy (which is covered under our insurance), but it is grouped with a social skills group (which we need as well). Our insurance specifically doesn't cover ASD as well, but we are finding that many of the individual therapies are covered under other aspects of our plan.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Did you try an appeal?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2