Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Dry skin surrounding underarms?

I’ve noticed in the last few days maybe week that the skin around my underarms seems to be very dry. It’s almost like the outside of a tank top area from front to back. It’s also visibly darker like I have a tan but I’m in the Northeast and haven’t had a tank top on in months. Any thoughts on what this could be? I used a body scrub on it yesterday and lotion on it today. I haven’t changed soap, lotion, or deodorant recently. TIA!!

I don't know what it is but I feel for you. Maybe try probiotic spray? DH heard about it during a biotech conference and bought some in December. We really like it and just started our second bottle. It's pricey but might be worth a try.

Here is their website, it looks like they are currently offering 20% off plus free shipping to new customers:

www.motherdirt.com

They also sell on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Mother-Dirt-P...er%2Bdirt&th=1

ETA: If you buy some, you might not have to use antiperspirant/deodorant. DH is totally deodorant free and no longer has stinky guy smell. I only use deodorant when i know I'm going to be really hot/active. The Ammonia Oxidizing Bacteria in the probiotic spray convert sweat into byproducts that benefit the skin, so I feel really dry most of the time. Before I was wearing extra strength deodorant and it still wouldn't be enough at times.
    Last edited by jawilli4; 01-19-2018 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Thought of an added benefit

Default Dry skin surrounding underarms?

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    I’ve noticed in the last few days maybe week that the skin around my underarms seems to be very dry. It’s almost like the outside of a tank top area from front to back. It’s also visibly darker like I have a tan but I’m in the Northeast and haven’t had a tank top on in months. Any thoughts on what this could be? I used a body scrub on it yesterday and lotion on it today. I haven’t changed soap, lotion, or deodorant recently. TIA!!
    This happened to my husband. He had to stop using antiperspirant. He can still use deodorant, but something in the antiperspirant caused his skin to react. I’d stop using antiperspirant immediately and go see a dermatologist right away. With my husband, he’s had a lot of trouble reversing the damage. I don’t want your skin to be permanently altered, so I’d address this as soon as you can.

ETA: It was the discoloration that may be permanent, not the dryness.

Do some research online about more natural deodorants.

I had that issue not long after I turned 40 a year ago. I wasn’t sure if it was particularly due to very dry winter or aging, but I stopped using my usual secrets deodorant I’ve used for years without any issues. I had to try out different naturals brands before finding one that worked for me.

Try natives brand. I honestly love this stuff. Great odor, leaves me feeling fresh even after a hard cardio workout. The only con is powder based and not gel which I prefer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    I had that issue not long after I turned 40 a year ago. I wasn’t sure if it was particularly due to very dry winter or aging, but I stopped using my usual secrets deodorant I’ve used for years without any issues. I had to try out different naturals brands before finding one that worked for me.

Try natives brand. I honestly love this stuff. Great odor, leaves me feeling fresh even after a hard cardio workout. The only con is powder based and not gel which I prefer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Is this the brand?

https://www.nativecos.com/product/deodorant-women/

If so, they have a referral program. Send me a PM with your referral link.
    Last edited by jgenie; 01-20-2018 at 06:22 PM.

Yes it is! I believe they're running a special of samples right now, but I got the samples when I wanted to try it out. Now I like and stick with either 3; coconut and vanilla, cotton & lily, and pear and lavender. It's under the sensitive tab which suits my skin type better.

I would recommend getting the womens sample which is 15 percent off, I think to get to try most of their scents. They do have unscented one if you're sensitive, but I found I needed a gentle scent to make mine last a whole day. It isn't overpowering which is big plus for me.
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Jawilli - can you tell me more about how you're using the spray? Just on armpits or other places as well?

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    Jawilli - can you tell me more about how you're using the spray? Just on armpits or other places as well?
    Hi, this may be a TMI, but since you asked I spray it on my armpits and under my breasts every morning as before I'd get really sweaty in those places.

At night I typically spray it on my face after I finish my skincare routine. Honestly, I tried going cold turkey and just cleansing and using the spray, and it was a total bust. I also tried spraying my face after I applied my makeup, but wasn't a fan. My husband swears he sees a difference with my face, but I'm not sure if I do.

I also spray it on my groin and scalp about every other day. I think my husband sprays his pits and groin every day. When he first got it, he sprayed it all over his body. We both smell a lot better everywhere. In fact, he can workout and he nor his clothes are stinky. Before I didn't want to go near any of them.

My kids are both nearing puberty and are getting occasional pimples. They have been using the spray when they see one and it seems to help it go away within a day or two. I think it would help even more if they would use it every day, but it is too much work for them to remember.

I'm looking forward to trying it over summer and during menopause as it has already helped me at night.

Besides the price, there are two things that are a bit of a bummer. First, you are supposed to refrigerate it if you want it to last over 30 days. (Right now we are storing it on a cold window ledge, so we figure it is good enough.) Also, certain soaps and shampoos can kill it, so we had to change some of our products. Right now we are using Aleavia prebiotic soap and it seems to work well. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BRN4MW6...obiotic%20soap I have wavy hair and my DevaCurl products are still okay to use because they are sulfate free. DH has been using my shampoo or the Aleavia soap, as it can also be used as a shampoo.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I am glad we found it as it has been transformational with my excessive sweatiness and his stinky man smell.

Save
    Save
    SaveSave
    SaveSave
    SaveSave

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Not TMI this is great info. I'm glad to know devacurl is still fine (curly hair, infrequent shampoo but daily styling product use). Sounds like my DH would definitely benefit - he can only use one kind of antiperspirant and it cakes up on his t-shirts so much he has to throw them away frequently. Definitely going to give this a try.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast