Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default At what did your child stop using a booster seat?

Did you transition out based on weight or age?

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We used the 5-step test, which had different results in each of our cars. I think my 11yo is still in a booster in my husband’s car, but has been out of one in my car for a year. My 8yo doesn’t pass yet, so he’s still in a booster in every car.

They're 9.5, still riding high in their boosters!
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pastrygirl View Post
    We used the 5-step test, which had different results in each of our cars. I think my 11yo is still in a booster in my husband’s car, but has been out of one in my car for a year. My 8yo doesn’t pass yet, so he’s still in a booster in every car.
    5-step test for us as well:
    http://thecarseatlady.com/car-seats/boosters/5steptest/

DS1 passed in DH's car and our carpool's car (both sedans) at age 10. He didn't pass in my car (Mazda5) until age 11. He used the Incognito booster in my car for the last 6 months or so.

DS2 is 8.5 and is still in a high back booster in both our cars. He's around 54" and 64 lbs.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

My almost 11 year old still sits in a low back booster. We switched from high back to low back within the past year.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

When she was 9. She was pretty average height I think. She passed the test in the back row of the minivan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I let mine (9) ride without boosters in our older model Forester, which has a tiny back seat. DD2 is taller and passes the 5-step test. DD1 doesn't quite yet but her legs bend over the edge of the seat just enough that the lap belt still stays nice and low on her, so I let it go.

In our minivan, DD2 can ride without a booster in the Plus One seat since it's higher and shallower (she passes the 5-step test). DD1 cannot in any of the seating positions.

I really really want to be out of the booster phase. My girls are pretty small so it will be a while, especially since DD1 is TINY, but it's a HUGE pain when carpooling. We either bring our own boosters or the parents have spares that we borrow but I just know they're rolling their eyes as they dig out their own (same age) kid's old booster for our kids to use and I'm honestly tired of being "that mom". I know that's dumb but man I'm sick of it! No one else here with a child that age is in a booster.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 01-23-2018 at 11:28 PM.

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

They were between 9.5 and 11, depending on the kid and the car. DS2 is the smallest of the 3 and at 9.5 he's in a booster in both cars still.
    Kris

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    I let mine (9) ride without boosters in our older model Forester, which has a tiny back seat. DD2 is taller and passes the 5-step test. DD1 doesn't quite yet but her legs bend over the edge of the seat just enough that the lap belt still stays nice and low on her, so I let it go.

In our minivan, DD2 can ride without a booster in the Plus One seat since it's higher and shallower (she passes the 5-step test). DD1 cannot in any of the seating positions.

I really really want to be out of the booster phase. My girls are pretty small so it will be a while, especially since DD1 is TINY, but it's a HUGE pain when carpooling. We either bring our own boosters or the parents have spares that we borrow but I just know they're rolling their eyes as they dig out their own (same age) kid's old booster for our kids to use and I'm honestly tired of being "that mom". I know that's dumb but man I'm sick of it! No one else here with a child that age is in a booster.
    Do you let your DD2 ride without in your van? We still have DS1 in a high back booster in my car because it still fits him and he doesn’t complain. In DHs car he uses a low back booster because DS2s car seat expired and we gave him the HBB. I know I’ll get pushback from DS2 when DS1 moves out of his seat in my car. I need to check the HBB for fit with DS1.

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pastrygirl View Post
    Yes, this. It's about how your child fits the vehicle belt in your car! Two kids of the same age and weight can have differently shaped bodies and fit so differently in the car that one needs the booster to get a good seatbelt fit, and other might be safe without one.

My 9YO fits the vehicle belt in my little Audi, but she doesn't in DH's car, so she's still using a booster in it. My older kid was 11YO before she passed the 5-step test in DH's car.
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast