Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Seat suggestion for 42#, 43” 5 yo

We are using the Chico NextFit, which we need move from latch to belt install. DH is arguing a move from 5 pt harness due to hassle of pickup line at school in fall. I think we stay with the NextFit until her height becomes an issue (more likely before weight). What would you do?

We RF until 4 yo, which he thought was crazy.

Do you think she has he maturity to sit correctly all the time in a booster seat? There isn’t really research showing that kids 5 and over + 40 pounds and over who sit correctly are more safe in a harnessed seat than a booster. But there are many 5 year olds who can’t or won’t sit correctly, so that is the key.

I completely understand your hesitation though, I am sure I will feel the same way when mine is 5. My oldest turned forward facing in two of our vehicles earlier this year, and is still rear facing in our van. (He turned 4 in February).

How much longer is her school year? Maybe stick it out through this school year and reassess in a The fall when next school year starts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Liziz is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I just moved my 6 year old from a 5-pt to a HBB. Don't do it!!!!

I moved my DD because got hit by another car and I needed to replace her existing 5-pt ASAP. We live in an area where immediate access to carseats is extremely limited, and my only immediate options were a convertible carseat that she would outgrow by weight within 5 lbs (and cost $300+), or a HBB. Knowing what gymnbomb said about research on kids over 5 and +40 lbs, and the maaaajor price difference, I went with the HBB.

It's been a huge pain. DD is not good about sitting correctly in the seat all the time. She's constantly leaning way out to mess with her sister on the other side of the car. I'm constantly having to remind her to sit the right way in the seat. She now unbuckles herself and hops right out of the car as soon as the car stops somewhere, even if I'm not ready for her to get out yet (I put the child safety lock back on her door, but it's still frustrating to have her unbuckled and moving around the car before I'm ready for her to be). I'm sure other kids her age can handle it fine, but mine can't. I'm seriously considering ordering another 5-pt seat for her at this point because she isn't ready!

Also, if the issue is just the pickup line -- before we had to stop using it, my DD could climb into her car seat, buckle the 5-pt harness by herself, and then I could reach back from the driver's seat and tighten it appropriately without getting out off the car (we figured that out due to all the rain we'd been having!!). Also I know friends who just keep the harness at the correct tightness at all times and their kids buckle themselves in that way (my DD hates that so that's why we loosen and tighten each time....). I sympathize with you though on a DH that has different opinions....as I just bought a new rear-facing seat for my 2.5 DD (to replace from the same accident) and my DH was shocked I wouldn't just buy a FF seat for her....I was like, "no way, with this seat we've got at least another year of rear-facing!)
    Lizi

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I also rear faced for awhile but my kids have switched to high back boosters like the Chicco Kidfit in kindergarten. I'd be comfortable switching with those stats as long as your child is a fairly compliant rider and will stay bottom back, shoulders within the shell.

That said my children were able to do harness buckles themselves at that age and there was a bit of learning curve with a standard seat belt buckle because they have to pull it over past the carseat side. The highback may not be any faster in the carpool lane initially.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

[QUOTE=Liziz;4297559

It's been a huge pain. DD is not good about sitting correctly in the seat all the time. She's constantly leaning way out to mess with her sister on the other side of the car. I'm constantly having to remind her to sit the right way in the seat[/QUOTE]

You can lock the seatbelt to prevent her from being able to move so much. Pull it all the way out then let it retract (you will hear clicking). It will then be locked tight against her so she can’t lean out.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Seat suggestion for 42#, 43” 5 yo

My kiddo was faster with the 5pt harness than seatbelt in the car line! By a lot!
    We always kept the seat harnesses at the correct tightness so no adjustment needed by me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 05-24-2018 at 08:08 AM.

Thanks everyone! Yes, she’s just started doing the harness herself, so it’s helpful to hear that may be faster than the belt. She also does a pretty goo job of tightening it herself, but I probably could reach back and check it. She’s also just started unbuckling it too (while we are still driving), so that’s a different concern.

Is there a concern about kids that age falling asleep in a HBB and keeping position?

Quote Originally Posted by jamiechic View Post
    Thanks everyone! Yes, she’s just started doing the harness herself, so it’s helpful to hear that may be faster than the belt. She also does a pretty goo job of tightening it herself, but I probably could reach back and check it. She’s also just started unbuckling it too (while we are still driving), so that’s a different concern.

Is there a concern about kids that age falling asleep in a HBB and keeping position?
    I would probably take unbuckling while you are driving as a sign she is not mature enough to move to a booster seat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Liziz is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    You can lock the seatbelt to prevent her from being able to move so much. Pull it all the way out then let it retract (you will hear clicking). It will then be locked tight against her so she can’t lean out.
    Of course! Don't know why I didn't think of that! Thank you.....guess who is going to be grumpy on the way to school tomorrow when she finds out what mama just learned?
    Lizi

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Is it safe for a child to ride in a booster seat with the seatbelt locked? I totally understand how it would be useful with a wiggler but for some reason I thought that was a no-no. Does this sound familiar to anyone else or do we still have any safety techs that can clarify?

Eta: found it. Midway through the page there's a paragraph about locking seatbelts to contain children. http://thecarseatlady.com/strangulation/
    Last edited by mikala; 05-28-2018 at 08:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast