Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    bigsis is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

You're all right...I have to up the budget. That's okay, it'll be our one NYC trip. I saw Groupons for different activities. My Fair Lady sounds great! Hopefully it'll be out by summer.

I want to take the subway a couple of times, but wouldn't it be more cost-efficient to Uber since it's a family of four? How much is the subway fare?
    Lea

Mom to:
    DD 8/2003
    DS 11/2005

bnme is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Central Park and the CP Zoo are great to explore. I think you will need to reserve for Statue of Liberty. You can do the 9/11 Museum and Freedom Tower the same day. Just see the memorial fountains if you don't feel its age appropriate for your kids. Nice along Battery Park, too. Other "free" things to do is just pick a neighborhood to explore, Chelsea and along the Highline or Soho or Upper West Side. I don't go into the city often anymore, but we always take the subway. Its quicker and I imagine mosly cheaper unless you are going a short distance.
    Donna

Mom to JT 1/03 and TJ 8/04

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bigsis View Post
    You're all right...I have to up the budget. That's okay, it'll be our one NYC trip. I saw Groupons for different activities. My Fair Lady sounds great! Hopefully it'll be out by summer.
    It's supposed to begin previews mid-March with an official opening in mid-April at the Vivian Beaumont Theatre at Lincoln Center. It'll definitely be open! Check ticket sites now, though! This is the listing on Playbill:

http://www.playbill.com/production/m...ater-2017-2018

Quote Originally Posted by bigsis View Post
    I want to take the subway a couple of times, but wouldn't it be more cost-efficient to Uber since it's a family of four? How much is the subway fare?
    I think it's better to take the subway.

You can get a week unlimited pass for like $30 each (ETA: FYI- you cannot share unlimited ride passes like you can share regular multi-trip cards; they lock you out for 18 minutes before they can be swiped at the same station) or buy a multi-trip regular MetroCard (I usually do fine with a $20 card, which I refill periodically, but it's only DD and me - my brother has his own monthly MetroCard) and share it among the 4 of you.

Fares are $3 each way, with free transfers from subway to bus/bus to subway. It's more cost-effective and efficient, even with the subway infrastructure issues, to take public transit than to use cabs or rideshare services (Uber/Lyft), because of how traffic patterns change. I don't drive in Manhattan if I can avoid it and have a working map to walk or subway it to pretty much everywhere.

I don't know the buses as well as I should, but DD loves the subway, so that's how we get around!
    Last edited by lizzywednesday; 02-11-2018 at 11:12 AM. Reason: added caveat about unlimited MTA passes
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2