Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bigsis is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Red face Family trip to NYC

I don't want to hijack the other thread, but my family and I will be going to NYC this summer. What hotel would you recommend that won't break the bank? DD is 14 and DS is 12. Would love some ideas too on how to fill up the itinerary. DH wants to go to a Yankee game, so he'll probably do that with DS; DD and I will maybe see a show or do something else.

TIA!
    Lea

Mom to:
    DD 8/2003
    DS 11/2005

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Budget is so personal- what’s expensive for one family is affordable for another. So, what’s your ideal budget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My brother stayed just across in Brooklyn or New Jersey (I'm not positive but not in Manhattan) they , took a bus to Port Authority and the price difference was amazing, parking was free and they got much more room for their money.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We've always enjoyed the Marriott Residence Inn Midtown East. Free hot breakfast every morning helps.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Budget is so personal- what’s expensive for one family is affordable for another. So, what’s your ideal budget?
    I'm hoping for $150 per night for a hotel room, with free breakfast. Sounds like a pipe dream....
    Lea

Mom to:
    DD 8/2003
    DS 11/2005

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    We've always enjoyed the Marriott Residence Inn Midtown East. Free hot breakfast every morning helps.
    This sounds great! How's the location as it pertains to traveling everywhere? Do you Uber or take the subway?
    Lea

Mom to:
    DD 8/2003
    DS 11/2005

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    My brother stayed just across in Brooklyn or New Jersey (I'm not positive but not in Manhattan) they , took a bus to Port Authority and the price difference was amazing, parking was free and they got much more room for their money.
    I'm going to have to look into that.
    Lea

Mom to:
    DD 8/2003
    DS 11/2005

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bigsis View Post
    This sounds great! How's the location as it pertains to traveling everywhere? Do you Uber or take the subway?
    Subway!

Hmmm...$150 AND food? Too much to ask in Manhattan. Unless you want to try Priceline and gamble. Do set it to 4 Star otherwise you can end up with a barely 3 star place, which could be crappy.
    When I traveled with just ds1, we stayed at a Pod (ours had a private bath). Alas, no way more than 2 can fit...and it was closer to $200 and no breakfast.

For that price range, try expanding your search into NJ or Queens. Take the train/subway into Manhattan if you really want to stay within 150-200 range.

Usually online you see 170 etc per night but after federal and state taxes, it’s always closer or over 200! I say either be willing to commute from a distance daily or up your budget to 250 at least for both a room and breakfast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Are there any discount or points programs you could qualify for to bring a nicer hotel cost down to what you want to spend?

North Jersey is fine to stay in, but I'm not sure how much you'll save if you're public-transiting to the City every day.

Anyway, I usually day-trip it with DD and if we stay overnight, we stay on the UES with my brother, who has floor space.

We like to go to the Met (new admission policy is $25 admission for out-of-state adults), the American Museum of Natural History (still a "suggested donation" to get in if you don't care about seeing IMAX or planetarium shows), and the New York Historical Society (which has a pay-what-you-wish late night weekly on Fridays.)

The Marriott Midtown East is fine; you'll need one cross-town subway or bus to get to Times Square, but a lot of what you might want to do is walking distance - St Patrick's Cathedral, Rockefeller Center/Top of the Rock, NYPL Schwartzman Building (the one with the lions), Grand Central Terminal, Empire State Building, Chrysler Building, AG store (not sure how old your DD is), etc. The Met is a short uptown subway ride away.

What might you be interested in seeing with your DD? There are a lot of great musicals currently running, with a revival of Carousel and My Fair Lady set to open sometime later this year. And don't ignore off-Broadway, but that might be harder to pin down.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast