Default Camel, CA - July 4th week

I got spring break bookings done so now I'm moving onto summer.

We'll be at Carmel, CA during July 4th week. Now that location is set, what should we do there with 12 yo & 10 yo?
    Willing to drive maybe 1.5-2 hours but not much further unless it's an activity everyone's really interested in.

I have a tentative list but wondering if there's any additions or deletions or better alternatives? I really am not familiar with this area at all. It'll be everyone's first time in this area.

My tentative list:
    point lobos since we're close (bike?)
    hike at Big Sur (any trail recs?) -- worth it to go down if we're doing point lobos? we're staying 10-15 min of point lobos.
    Monterey Bay Aquarium - any food recs in the area or on way back to carmel?
    check out a farmers market (any recs?)
    tide pooling (where?) - low tide is around 8am-10am that week.
    maybe to a berry farm (i'm guessing 1st week of july's too late? so probably not? any other farming activity?)

Food:
    Pacific's Edge? (dinner? wondering if brunch more appropriate than dinner even though our kids are very well behaved - some places make me feel like they don't even like seeing kids)
    eat good seafood and/or sushi since we're from a seafood challenged landlocked area

Any suggestions, comments, or critiques appreciated. Any food recs also appreciated.
    dd 4/06
    ds 11/07

Here is my trip report on our Spring Break trip to that area last year. You will need to check road conditions and what is open in Big Sur. Due to the fires and mud slides, much of it is reopened but that changes with various weather related issues. DH and I hiked Pt Lobos and did some Big Sur hiking in redwoods--it is very different. If you can, I would do both.

https://www.fodors.com/community/uni...weens-1224177/
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I don't know what type of whales are around in the summer, but I recommend whale watching. The companies that do it have a calendar that states what types of animals you are likely to see. We went during an 'off-season for whales" period and saw killer whales close up, lots of dolphins and some sea lions.
    Up in Santa Cruz there is the boardwalk with roller coasters and other rides.
    mom to Billy 12/07

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Berry picking - we haven't taken DS but my folks went here for years. http://www.gizdich-ranch.com/indextwo.php?gr=pikyorsef
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I ate at the Fish Wife in Pacific Grove many years ago, I did read it's still very good (and popular).

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would probably drive north to Santa Cruz for a day, it is about 90 minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Capitola is near Santa Cruz. Gayle's Bakery is good!

Thanks for the tips. Really enjoyed the trip report. I'll definitely consider a whale watching or maybe kayaking.
    dd 4/06
    ds 11/07