I checked some older threads but wanted to see if there was any recent info out there!

We're headed to Maui (which happens when 1) you're planning last minute and 2) you realize your kids' passports have expired ) next week. From Boston. I'm afraid it's going to be painful.

We're staying on the west side of the island (I think?) closer to Kapalua, Kaanapali and Lahaina, about an hour from the airport. It looks pretty far from Haleakala Crater and Hana. Not really sure I want to spend long amounts of time driving to all kinds of sites/places, although that might be how things are there. I do get that we are in Hawaii so should take advantage!

Any sunset cruises, whale watches, hikes, luaus (the Old Lahaina Luau is already sold out so something else) other stuff you can recommend? We know about the Submarine ride and Ocean Center, are those fun? We can do a tour to see the sunrise- leaving the hotel at 2:30am which I suppose could work out, it will be like waking up at home lol. DDs are 12 and 14.