Thread: Tips for Maui?

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Tips for Maui?

I checked some older threads but wanted to see if there was any recent info out there!

We're headed to Maui (which happens when 1) you're planning last minute and 2) you realize your kids' passports have expired ) next week. From Boston. I'm afraid it's going to be painful.

We're staying on the west side of the island (I think?) closer to Kapalua, Kaanapali and Lahaina, about an hour from the airport. It looks pretty far from Haleakala Crater and Hana. Not really sure I want to spend long amounts of time driving to all kinds of sites/places, although that might be how things are there. I do get that we are in Hawaii so should take advantage!

Any sunset cruises, whale watches, hikes, luaus (the Old Lahaina Luau is already sold out so something else) other stuff you can recommend? We know about the Submarine ride and Ocean Center, are those fun? We can do a tour to see the sunrise- leaving the hotel at 2:30am which I suppose could work out, it will be like waking up at home lol. DDs are 12 and 14.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Skip the road to Hana. I mean, it's interesting and all, but the roads are narrow & twisty and there's not much to see once you actually GET to Hana.

Regarding the luau, have you also checked the Feast at Lele? It's further down the beach in Lahaina Town, near Pacific'O restaurant. [I recommend Pacific'O over Mama's Fish House, BTW. The beach near Mama's is gorgeous, although it's private property. (DH took a really awesome photo there that we blew up to 8x11 and hung on our wall.) Pa'ia is fun to walk around, but we didn't stay there long enough to have any recommendations.]

We had two meals at Aloha Mixed Plate, which was recommended by a shopgirl in the Lahaina Cannery Mall, but it's not everyone's cuppa. (I liked the shoyu chicken and the mai tai cocktails. Maybe the mai tais helped the food.)

We didn't do the sunrise at Haleakala, but it's still cool to go up if only to see the silversword plants (they look like something alien) and the observatory towers ... and to take photos over the clouds. Friends of ours recommended the sunset at Haleakala option when they visited.

I loved the Ocean Center aquarium but we weren't there during whale watch season, so I can't recommend any whale watching cruises.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Zansu is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would skip Haleakala, unless you really want to see the top of clouds. It's an hour or more drive up, they limit the number of cars. Skip Hana and hike I'o Valley instead. They may be too old for Ocean Center. Wiki Wahine Whale Watch out of Lahaina. Snuba Black Rock or snorkel with one of the catamarans. This time of year, it's all about the whales. If girls are fit, try Maui Paddle Sports for an fantastic outrigger experience.

Where are you staying? Do you eat sushi/poke?

Yes - i'o valley is a convenient option!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Skip Hana. Aloha Mixed Plate is good every day inexpensive food. But Star Noodle is awesome. We drive up from Wailea for it. Make reservations if you must or get there and wait. Great cocktails and amazing hamachi with lemon olive oil and garlic noodles - anything on their menu. I’d rather eat there than expensive Mamas Fish House. Love Sansei Sushi too. And Jaws taco truck if you go to Wailea, just down the road a couple miles. The ocean center is small and fine but something we do if it is cloudy or need a break from the beach. My
    Kids love surfing and we do private lessons with Maui Surfer Girls. My daughter loves one instructor and they teach boys and men too. But for my daughter who could get up and go like she’d been born to do it since about 7 or 8, private lessons are worth it. Or a family lesson and have the boys try it out. They have a far better spot to surf (need permit) than other surf places in Lahaina etc. I could go on and on, we love maui for a break and easy for us nonstop from west coast. You will have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'o Valley is amazing. We are going this summer and I hope to do Haleakala since we didn't get there the last time.

We really LOVE Ululani Shave Ice (it may be my main reason for returning to Maui) - I am obsessed with shave ice and we usually try every single place on each island and have our total favorites in Kauai, Oahu and Maui (Big Island disappoints in this regard!). Napili, which is just north of Kanaapali, is a great place to see turtles right off the beach (sometimes on the beach)!

for Sandy Hook

theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    I'o Valley is amazing. We are going this summer and I hope to do Haleakala since we didn't get there the last time.

We really LOVE Ululani Shave Ice (it may be my main reason for returning to Maui) - I am obsessed with shave ice and we usually try every single place on each island and have our total favorites in Kauai, Oahu and Maui (Big Island disappoints in this regard!). Napili, which is just north of Kanaapali, is a great place to see turtles right off the beach (sometimes on the beach)!
    Yes, love Ululani Shave Ice! So amazing.
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

When we were there for our honeymoon, we did a FANTASTIC kayak trip that involved kayaking, then (pretty easy) hiking to a very secluded totally awesome waterfall. I wish I could remember what company we used, but totally can't at the moment! I'd recommend something like that - seems like your dds are old enough for it. It wasn't a difficult kayak ride at all.

ETA: Found it!!! http://www.keliiskayak.com/kayaking-...l-reef-paddle/
    Last edited by elizabethkott; 02-14-2018 at 09:53 AM.
    Liz
    Proud mama to DS1: 2007
    and DS2:2010

Life is too short to wear boring socks.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethkott View Post
    When we were there for our honeymoon, we did a FANTASTIC kayak trip that involved kayaking, then (pretty easy) hiking to a very secluded totally awesome waterfall. I wish I could remember what company we used, but totally can't at the moment! I'd recommend something like that - seems like your dds are old enough for it. It wasn't a difficult kayak ride at all.

ETA: Found it!!! http://www.keliiskayak.com/kayaking-...l-reef-paddle/
    Wow, thank you! 7 hours may be more than my younger DD can take but it's great to know about this!

for Sandy Hook

It's broken up nicely. After the hike to the falls, you're on your own there for a good amount of time to relax, swim in the falls, climb (for the more adventurous!)... and there is a good break for lunch as well.
    It looks like there are also some shorter tours as well!
    Last edited by elizabethkott; 02-15-2018 at 07:55 AM.
    Liz
    Proud mama to DS1: 2007
    and DS2:2010

Life is too short to wear boring socks.