Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    Most of the route from NYC to Hershey is pretty rural and highway driving. If you could take the Path train to somewhere in north jersey (Edison or Princeton come to mind but I'm not expert on jersey commuter trains) and the Uber to a car rental place, I think the rest of the drive would be easy. You drive wherever you currently live I assume?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same thing but would be sure to take local transit rather than Amtrak as there is a huge price differential. You can quickly get to Newark airport via nj transit (and maybe path as well) and from there shuttle to one of the many airport car rental spots. Newark Airport is much closer to Manhattan than Edison or Princeton and is likely to have the most rental options. Taking a train to Harrisburg would be very pricey on Amtrak, I would guestimate more than $100 a person.

Driving on the east coast is no different than driving on the west coast, just stick to the slow lane if you are nervous.
    Last edited by westwoodmom04; 02-18-2018 at 09:25 PM.

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing but would be sure to take local transit rather than Amtrak as there is a huge price differential. You can quickly get to Newark airport via nj transit (and maybe path as well) and from there shuttle to one of the many airport car rental spots. Newark Airport is much closer to Manhattan than Edison or Princeton and is likely to have the most rental options. Taking a train to Harrisburg would be very pricey on Amtrak, I would guestimate more than $100 a person.

Driving on the east coast is no different than driving on the west coast, just stick to the slow lane if you are nervous.
    n
    Hmmn, this would be an interesting option especially as we may fly in/out of Newark.

Someone asked why I would want to live in NYC. Frankly, I don't get a lot of vacation, I am from NYC so its not a novelty for me and I grew up doing some of the more well-known things to do. I need a little more relaxation, slower pace, something different too and I am mostly doing the NYC trip for my kids. Also given how small my sister's apartment is I know its a good idea to get away too. If it seems not worth the effort to me to do something else, I would probably just shorten my time by a day or two.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    ... You can quickly get to Newark airport via nj transit (and maybe path as well) and from there shuttle to one of the many airport car rental spots. Newark Airport is much closer to Manhattan than Edison or Princeton and is likely to have the most rental options. ...
    PATH doesn't get you to the airport; it gets you to either Harrison or Newark-Penn. From Newark-Penn, you can take NJ Transit or Uber to the airport (personally, I'd Uber) but it doesn't make a lot of sense if you already have access to NJ Transit out of NY-Penn!

If MLS is playing, you can take PATH from WTC to Harrison and either walk or Uber to Red Bull Arena for a Red Bulls game (sit in the upper tiers; ticket prices are more reasonable and the view of the pitch is pretty good from every seat; also, you can often find good deals on tickets for a spur-of-the-moment trip) ... just don't pick the visiting supporters' section if you don't have a dog in the fight.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    I...
    --I'm also looking for ideas on what to do in NYC. I know there is a ton, so just trying to use our time wisely. My sister knows all about how to get discounted Broadway show tickets and the like..but thinking about things that the kids would specifically like (they're 12 and 15). Dd is very into celebrities so going to any kind of tv set or something like that would be awesome.

New York Theatre Guide has a list of current Musicals, Plays, and Off-Broadway that might help you figure out if you want to spend an evening at a show at all.

The way I see it, the musicals of interest to a 12-year-old and 15-year-old might be Dear Evan Hansen a/k/a DEH (though this deals with some sensitive subject matter; the show's recommended minimum age is 13), School of Rock, and Anastasia. DEH had been very popular for a while, but I'm not sure what the sales have been showing now that Tony-winner Ben Platt is gone (been gone since November, IIRC.)

I want to see Come From Away, but I've forgotten what ages they recommend. (There's also Waitress, but I'm 99% sure they recommend 14+ due to content.)

Opening soon are revivals of My Fair Lady (at Lincoln Center) and Carousel if you're into classics. Hello Dolly just had a replacement casting (Bette Midler left and Bernadette Peters stepped into the titular role) but the fact that it won the Tony for Best Revival-Musical might make tickets scarce.

Wicked just became the 7th-longest-running musical on Broadway.

OFF-Broadway, I'm curious about Puffs, which re-tells the Harry Potter novels from a Hufflepuff POV; IIRC, Saturday matinees are more kid-friendly (ages 8+) than other performances (I think they say 14+)

Obviously, there's a TON of stuff to do, but without really knowing what you/your kids are into, it's hard for me to make recommendations. Mine's little, so we have a different challenge (usually it's "how much time do we have before she gets footsore?" but she's really a trooper) but we find awesome things to do all the time.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2