ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Outer Banks in early April?

Trying to plan for the kids' spring break. I'd like to walk/hike around and enjoy the outdoors with the kids. DH would like to do some fishing. Is the Outer Banks a nice place to visit in early Spring? Any tips on finding a nice rental for a family of 5?
    We are hoping to drive, so don't want to go further south where the weather might be nicer.
    ncat
    mama to DD 12/04, DS1 11/08, and DS2 7/13

The ocean will be way too cold to swim in. I’m not sure about the weather, but I’m guessing it will be high 60’s, maybe low 70’s, so not cold but also not super warm. You might be able to swim in a heated pool, but it’s not going to be a balmy beach vacation.

I’m also dreaming of a warm spring break, but it seems even southern Florida is iffy for ocean swimming in April. You need to go farther south to get warm ocean water. And if I’m wrong about that, someone please let me know, because I’m yearning for the ocean, but I don’t feel like taking a big trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    The ocean will be way too cold to swim in. I’m not sure about the weather, but I’m guessing it will be high 60’s, maybe low 70’s, so not cold but also not super warm. You might be able to swim in a heated pool, but it’s not going to be a balmy beach vacation.

I’m also dreaming of a warm spring break, but it seems even southern Florida is iffy for ocean swimming in April. You need to go farther south to get warm ocean water. And if I’m wrong about that, someone please let me know, because I’m yearning for the ocean, but I don’t feel like taking a big trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I agree. And, we're in the same spot. Florida COULD be warm enough, but it isn't always. The Outer Banks is very unlikely to be warm enough to swim (even for my Michigan kids).

m4nash is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

We are going to Hilton Head, SC for spring break the first week of April. I don't expect it to be warm enough to swim in the ocean or an outdoor pool, but I do hope for it to be warm enough to ride bikes, fish, play in the sand, and relax outdoors. I would think you'd be fine for hiking/walking and fishing that time of year. I have never been to the Outer Banks, so I'm not sure what the options for those activities are like there. From what I understand about the Outer Banks, it isn't very built up. I personally would rather go to a more developed beach town that time of year, so that you have other options than just the beach, but maybe there is more to do in the Outer Banks than I'm aware.

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The weather can be really nice then or it can be pretty cool. Definitely not swimming/swimsuit weather but you should be able to be outside/on the beach. It would be a great time to visit lighthouses, Jockey's Ridge/Wright Brothers Monument, etc. They are brutal to visit in the summer when it is hot. The Aquarium in Manteo is a nice activity as well. I would definitely plan on staying in the Nags Head/Kitty Hawk area for things to do. We have a family place on the southern end and it is pretty hit or miss that time of year for what restaurants, etc. have opened back up for the season. I know Sun Realty is one of the rental companies but don't know anything about them. We have had good luck with VRBO rentals on our trips to Florida.
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I was in Florida for Presidents day weekend near St. Pete and there were lots of people swimming. Last March it was 80s everyday.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

infocrazy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We went to Corolla the first week of April last year. We had one day in the high 70s one day in the low 70s and it was rainy and 60 the rest of the week. It was pretty well shut down most of the time in terms of restaurants and activities but we had a good time anyway. Corolla light has an indoor pool and Sports Center that was fun for us to go to and they had a fun basketball volleyball Etc area that the kids like to play.

This year the first week of April is Easter and we had noticed while we were there last year that things were open during Easter week we just weren't there then. We will probably just be doing a staycation this year but if the temperatures are good we might consider going again. I'm just not going to book it until the week before or later if possible

A lot of businesses are seasonal. You should probably check to make sure things your interested in (for example wild horse tours) are open.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

I would guess more solidly in the sixties that type of year although you may get lucky with with a random warm day. Ocean will definitely be far too cold to swim in.

We will be there next week for a night. We'll be traveling to VA to see my sister, and she wants to take us to the Outer Banks. I'm wondering how much we'll be able to do, but at the very least it ought to be relaxing.
    DD 6/06
    DS 4/09
    DS 5/12