Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ahisma is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Last minute spring break ideas?

We had been planning to go to NOLA, but our friends there have an unexpected family issue and, while we could go anyway, they are a big part of the draw (we've been there often, love the city, but would miss them dearly there).

Our break is the first week of April. We live in Michigan, generally drive, but could fly. We want to stay within the US (kids need passports).

Any great ideas? The kids are requesting warm. Past spring breaks trips have been:

NOLA (often)
    Smokey Mountains
    Toronto
    Washington DC
    Charleston
    Florida (Naples)

DH is leaning towards Florida, I'm not entirely sold. I have no desire to do Orlando, don't want to spend $$$ to fly, and haven't landed on anywhere that felt "right". It could be our best bet - but I'm sure there are other options that I'm not thinking of.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I am driving (I'm the only driver), the 16 hours to St. Pete Beach with my kids in a few weeks. We found a cheap but safe place 3 min walk frm room to sand (not officially beachfront but close enough) . We don't do amusement parks, we chill on the beach, fish, kayak and be chill for the week. I love the Gulf of Mexico part of Florida.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

San Diego!!! I don't see how old the kiddos are, but this is a great venue for all ages: Balboa Park has a ton of great museums, the SD Zoo is really cool, Scripps Aquarium in La Jolla, for all sorts of ages--Legoland!!

We are going to the central CA coast for our Spring Break (April) and I am really looking forward to it. We did San Fran and Monterey/Pacific Grove last year and had a blast. Sea kayaking, Alcatraz, aquarium, hiking, fun!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

I hear you. I have searched for last minute plans a lot recently.

If it's not too expensive last minute, a resort like Club Med... You could do Sandpiper in FL. Just a comment, though: The air tix to FL are insane at this time of year so check them out before getting committed too deeply to anything in FL. Other resort ideas are family outdoor resorts (ie more of a hiking/campy lodging feel than a club med - like Woodloch Pines in PA, though it's too cold for that now, so find an equivalent in a warmer state).

Or some random, but cool city in the US that you have always wanted to see that is funky and warm - like Louisville or Austin or DC (or Williamsburg - great things to do there) - I can't remember if you said you had visited these and I can't see it as I'm writing this.

Do a Great Wolf Lodge for a couple of days for a quick get away or something like that. Although it's not a 'warm' vacation, it feels like one in the middle of winter.

Alternatively, a staycation. I tried to get something last minute and could not ($$$$) so the kids and I recently stayed home. I was disappointed that we didn't get out *somewhere* initially, but honestly, we had a fantastic vacation. Every day we saw friends, became tourists in our own city, tried new things we normally would never have time for, took one day trips, saw shows or just lazed around and watched movies together - I had a list of things to do and we only got through about a fifth! And it was a great opportunity for me to research things to do - but we are new to the area, so that might have made it easier to be excited about the things around us. I will say that within our state and surrounding drive-able states, there was much much more than I would have imagined.

I'll be following this thread for ideas.
    Last edited by magnoliaparadise; 03-04-2018 at 05:51 AM.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The good thing about FL, especially Orlando, is that flights tend to be really cheap. Fly in then drive off to a beach. Sanibel has been on our list.
    Same deal with flying into Las Vegas then heading out on maybe a National Park Adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Not warm, but we are thinking maybe a couple nights at Niagara Falls. If not, I think we will visit Lansing. The elementary schools eliminated that field trip, so we want to go at some point. Neither trip is super exciting, but kids will have fun in a hotel pool.
    Kris

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Also not warm but we enjoyed a mini trip to Columbus. Their science center, COSI, is awesome!! World class zoo (Jack Hanna’s). The botanical gardens were nice and there’s plenty to explore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Memphis. We stopped there for a few days on our way to NOLA and had a great time. There is so much to do, we want to go back again. We did the civil rights museum, the zoo is very kid friendly, and Graceland. Great music and food.

Or a driving tour of the southeast coast. From NC to AL. Beaches, good food, fun things to see along the way.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Toronto is a quick drive and the kids don't need passports to drive into Canada.

Not sure what ages your kids are, Great Wolf isn't as much fun for bigger kids (teens are generally bored with the smaller size).

I'd look at driving to even Nashville, lots of cool things, especially if you're all into music. Their hockey team is on fire too, and the games there are more affordable than some other arenas.

I get not wanting to do Orlando, my kids have never been to Disney, have no desire, which is great, as that does not appeal to me at all, nor is it in my budget.

What about the outer banks? Is it warm enough there in early April.

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We are going to Branson Missouri and staying on a lake. Hotel rates are very inexpensive. We will go to Silver Dollar City and the Titanic museum, as well as a few other attractions. It's only a 6 hour drive for us. We thought about Florida but it will be very crowded for spring break.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast