Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default DisneyLAND tips?

We are going to SoCal for our spring break in mid-April and decided to tack on a couple of days at DL. We did DL about 7 years ago, so it's probably "all new" at this point. DDs are 12 and 14 so able to do it all. I think we did 3 park days last time and it everything. Previously stayed at Grand Californian, considering that or DL hotel - is DL hotel really that much further to the entrance?

This time it's 3 night hotel, 2 days for parks so getting park hoppers. What's up with MaxxPass? If we book hotel/tix thru Costco we get a premium character meal and $40 gc. So might do that - once i realized we could use the meal on the day we arrive but don't have park tix.

I think Matterhorn is closing for renovations just before we arrive, and it looks like all of the boardwalk and California Screamin' is closed. DD2 is going to be bummed about that one - she wasn't tall enough last time and was looking forward to trying it on this trip! I need to hit DIsBoards and do my homework lol.

LalasMom are you out there??
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

Not extremely experienced. I've done WDW six times between 2002 and 2017, but never DL until last month. We were there the second week of February with four days in the park Wednesday through Saturday. It was not the leading into President's Day weekend, so a pretty quiet time. We flew in on Wednesday and made it to the park about noon. No issues getting fast passes for rides at DL. The other days we were there at open. Really those first 3 hours were easy to manage. We'd get a FP for one ride and do a different one close and move around. By Friday about 2 pm and Saturday by 1 pm it felt crazy.

Since we'd been able to do all of our MUSTS the first two days we were able to get the high points at open the last two days and not worry about MaxPass. If we had a shorter trip, it would be worth it to add on busy days to save the walking across the park when you need to claim fastpasses earlier in the day. You can add the MaxPass on a day by day basis, but if you're going to do it, plan on doing it first thing.

Everyone at CA was rushing to get their Cars FP. They were distributing right by Bug's Life on the left after rope drop. In February the only thing opened on the far side of the boardwalk was Toy Story and the carousel. It did mean the kids I was with had a great time on the airplane coaster, zephyr and swings multiple times before anyone wandered that way in the morning.

The Guardians of the Galaxy was totally worth it. Much improved over the TOT. The first two times we rode the group clapped at the end of the ride.

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The Disneyland Resort is very compact. No on-site hotel is very far from the entrances (DL and CA, which are directly across from one another and also not far apart). In fact, there are many off-site hotels that are not far from the entrance to the resort. It really is nothing like WDW. Everything is very close together except the parking; they have trams for that. So "distance from the entrance" should NOT be a factor in choosing a hotel.

I can't answer any of your other questions, but the park site is pretty good about updating ride status, IME (which I'll admit is pretty limited even though I live 30 minutes away!).
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Save yourself some money and stay off site unless you just have to have the theming. There are so many close options now and they keep adding good choices all the time (not just motor lodges). MaxPass is new since I was there. I'd probably buy it. As add ons go, it's not very much and I think it sounds useful.

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Save yourself some money and stay off site unless you just have to have the theming. There are so many close options now and they keep adding good choices all the time (not just motor lodges). MaxPass is new since I was there. I'd probably buy it. As add ons go, it's not very much and I think it sounds useful.
    Yah... we need the theming. I think we might be turning into Disney junkies lol.

We are SO excited for GotG!!! That might be the main reason we're going...
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboos View Post

We are SO excited for GotG!!! That might be the main reason we're going...
    It is SO MUCH FUN!

DL Hotel isn't that much further and I actually prefer it to the Grand Californian (bigger rooms!) They moved the security checkpoint to right at the edge of Downtown Disney (near DL Hotel) so if you stay there expect to deal with security right away, then you can breeze through Downtown Disney and into the park pretty easily.

Maxx Pass is good on a busy day as is the extra hour in the morning from staying at a Disney Hotel.

ckso is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I heard Pixar Fest as well as A Pixar Nighttime Spectacular is starting mid April (4/13?) so definitely check that out.

MaxPass is definitely worth it. $10/day pp gives you the ability to get fasspasses on your phone AND includes access to all pictures. You're able to get fasspass for either DL for DCA, and sometimes the availability is earlier than what's offered at the kiosk. I don't feel like there's any "slow" days anymore, it's just always seem so crowded all the time. So I would definitely consider getting the maxpass.