Thread: Low Body Temp

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Low Body Temp

Does anyone else have a low body temp? Is it indicative of anything? I am FREEZING cold a lot lately. Like right now, my house is at 68, I'm wearing a t-shirt, fleece jacket, and a fleece bathrobe and I'm just starting to warm up. I checked my temp with a temporal thermometer and it's 96.6 - 96.8. This is where it tends to run, which just seems so low. It does seem to get worse right before my period, which I think should be coming soon. My thyroid numbers are in check last time they were checked, which was about 4 months ago. My ferritin is low but I'm not technically anemic and am taking iron.

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have no idea what's normal, but my son and I both tend to run low and often are cold. My daughter is the opposite--runs high, gets high fevers (106 at times, normal for her), and tends to be warm.

My son normally runs around 97, so not much higher than your numbers.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Interestingly, my typical temp is also about 96.8-97.0 but I don’t feel particularly cold or need to bundle up. I’ve always figured that was because I’m ... um ... well-insulated.

The only time my low temp is an issue is during medical procedures (I had 3 surgeries last year) when I just need to say, yeah, it’s always like that.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It's probably the low ferritin. How low is it? I've never been technically anemic (hemoglobin and hematocrit normal) but my ferritin was an 8 and I was freezing all the time and had many other symptoms of low iron. I needed to take 300mg of prescription iron a day to get to the normal range.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Hmmm. I’m always cold and my ferritin was 7 last time they checked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Hmmm. I’m always cold and my ferritin was 7 last time they checked.

Yeah, that's extremely low. "Ideal" for women is supposedly 60-90. The highest mine ever got was 60, and that took 2 years of taking 300mg of prescription iron daily. I think mine is really low again and I'm going to try and get iron infusions this time around since my prescription iron was $110 a month and the progress was sooo slow.

Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    Yeah, that's extremely low. "Ideal" for women is supposedly 60-90. The highest mine ever got was 60, and that took 2 years of taking 300mg of prescription iron daily. I think mine is really low again and I'm going to try and get iron infusions this time around since my prescription iron was $110 a month and the progress was sooo slow.

Yes, I know it’s super low. DS1 also struggles with his ferritin level. He has an abnormal hemoglobin trait which we discovered on his newborn screening. (DS2 has it too, but wasn’t anemic like DS1 was at age 1). I assume I have that same abnormal hemoglobin trait too. It can cause anemia.

DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Melbel is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My temp runs from high 95s to high 97s (verified at doctor and in hospital). It is common with Lyme disease which disrupts hypothalamic function. My ferritin has been extremely low in the past, but values are nice and high currently after treating Lyme co-infections Bartonella and Babesia which can cause anemia. Temperature is still low though. As a reminder, standard labs for Lyme miss about 1/2 of actual cases per numerous peer reviewed studies.

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    Does anyone else have a low body temp? Is it indicative of anything? I am FREEZING cold a lot lately. Like right now, my house is at 68, I'm wearing a t-shirt, fleece jacket, and a fleece bathrobe and I'm just starting to warm up. I checked my temp with a temporal thermometer and it's 96.6 - 96.8. This is where it tends to run, which just seems so low. It does seem to get worse right before my period, which I think should be coming soon. My thyroid numbers are in check last time they were checked, which was about 4 months ago. My ferritin is low but I'm not technically anemic and am taking iron.
    Temporal temps run 0.5-1 degree cooler than an oral temp. So, that would bring you up to the 97s for an oral temp. Some people just have lower temps. My normal temp is in the 97s. I almost never have fevers. It sucked when I was a kid because no matter how sick I was, the middle school nurse never believed me because I didn’t have a high temp.

98.6 is the average temperature for people in general, that doesn’t mean it is your average temperature. So an oral temp in the 97s is perfectly OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08