Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tachycardia

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default Tachycardia

Over the last 6 weeks or so I have had occasional episodes of a fast heart rate-occasionally waking me at night, or sometimes during the day. Mostly they have just passed quickly and I didn't think too much about it. Over the weekend I had it most of the day Friday, and by Friday dinner heart rate was pretty high (130s) it stayed that way all evening and I lay in bed listening to it thud away until I couldn't take it anymore and went to the ER. They ended up admitting me, giving me tons of fluids-chest xray, blood and urine test, echocardiogram etc. Heart appears completely normal, blood tests normal. It has gone down for the most part, although has not completely gone away- feeling it at least a couple of times a day and rate is frequently in the 100 range which is high for me. I did have some markers for a uti- but no symptoms. In the hospital they didn't think this could be the cause although my dr seems to think it might and started me on antibiotics. I was suspicious of thyroid, but all those tests seem normal. I am also wondering about hormones- none of the drs seem to think that could be it-too intense and sudden. I have an appointment scheduled with my midwife who hopefully can test those levels and might have some insight, but in the meantime any other oddball things this could be? Anyone ever have this? Nobody seems to think it is particularly dangerous but it sure is annoying.

Did you make an appointment with a cardiologist????
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Well the cardiologist at the hospital reviewed my ultrasound and said heart looks perfect, they had me on a monitor for over 24 hours and didn't see anything irregular in the rhythm other than the elevated rate. My internist consulted by phone with a cardiologist who said in cases like this when heart looks so good it is almost always a symptom of something else going on in the body. I guess if they can't figure out what that is I can go see one, but it didn't sound like they suspected anything wrong with my heart...

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I get tachycardia from reflux/heart burn. I was on heart medicine to try and stop it, but it would still happen. At the first appointment at an allergist years ago he figured it out. My beef allergy causes severe reflux. The reflux cause pressure on my vagus nerve irritating it, which in turn causes a fast heart rate. I stopped eating beef and it went away. I do occasionally get it still and take a Tums right away. It stops within minutes. My reflux also gets worse when I lay down if it's flaring which could be why it happens to you at night too.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Any chance of could be anxiety/stress? When my daughter was sick I went to the ER twice with a rapid heartbeat and lightheaded feeling, none of the tests ever turned up anything abnormal and they sent me home with a diagnosis of anxiety both times. I didn't *feel* particularly stressed about anything at the time though, I thought I had a handle on things.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Anxiety often manifests as heart symptoms or stomach symptoms that bring people to the ER. While we may not think we are under terrible stress in our heads, our bodies tell a different story.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Interesting- I wonder if reflux could be playing a part. It has gotten a lot better but I did feel like I had some heartburn last week which rarely happens to me. I will see if Tums helps next time.

heatherlynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I was having a similar issue and it turns out my iron was really really low. Maybe that could be it?
    H-
    DD 1998
    DS 2004
    DD 2005

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by heatherlynn View Post
    I was having a similar issue and it turns out my iron was really really low. Maybe that could be it?
    Yes, same with me when my ferritin is low (which I think it is right now). But the racing heart only happens when I'm doing something-- emptying the washing machine, walking upstairs, etc. It's never happened when I'm laying in bed or just doing nothing. I really need to get some iron infusions!
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I had episodes of tachycardia and frequent PVCs in pregnancy but with a clear cardiology work up. If I recall correctly, around 30 weeks was the peak cardiac demand in pregnancy after which time things settled down. Years later, I developed a 2nd degree heartblock and myocarditis. I believe I had underlying infections all along that finally got the best of me. Treatment with longer term antibiotics gradually corrected the issues. Two of my infections can cause anemia (ferritin levels in single digits). If the issues persist, I would follow up with a cardiologist and possibly obtain longer term monitoring (i.e. a 2 week event recorder).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast