Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Where in Europe with young kids?

We are wrapping up spring break which involved some adventure. We learned that our kids don't like to do a lot of walking. They need at least half a day at the pool or to relax. That being said, we would still like to try Europe in June. Our youngest is 4, oldest is 9. They are not the most active kids in the world but are curious and creative. What would you pick for your first trip to Europe with kids? We have about 2 weeks. Thanks!
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

week 1 -- Rent a flat in Paris or London -- hit a park daily and do ONE thing/site a day
    week 2 -- Rent a place in south of france/tuscany with a pool -- go to a market or town every day
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    week 1 -- Rent a flat in Paris or London -- hit a park daily and do ONE thing/site a day
    week 2 -- Rent a place in south of france/tuscany with a pool -- go to a market or town every day
    Wow. Sounds heavenly. I want to go!

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We did Bavaria Germany when some of our kids were around that age. We stayed in a working farm/ hotel. My kids loved it and it felt very authentic. All the other Guests were German. We alternated between historic places/museums and outings that were fun for the kids like The Zoo and Playmobile park. It was a great trip and my kids still talk about wanting to go back to the farm.

One week, at least, rent a vila in Italy and do one site per day and then afternoon at the pool. Try Tuscany.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Agreed. Our kids loved loved loved Italy. Stayed in Chianti area of Tuscany near sienna and 40 minutes or so from Florence. Gorgeous villa in the countryside with amazing pool. Charming pedestrian friendly village easy ten minutes away. Our kids also loved Venice and Paris (and Rome!). But the countryside in Italy was amazing, the food, scenery, people and more. Ours ask when we can go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    Agreed. Our kids loved loved loved Italy. Stayed in Chianti area of Tuscany near sienna and 40 minutes or so from Florence. Gorgeous villa in the countryside with amazing pool. Charming pedestrian friendly village easy ten minutes away. Our kids also loved Venice and Paris (and Rome!). But the countryside in Italy was amazing, the food, scenery, people and more. Ours ask when we can go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm sure it's been a while but do you remember where you stayed? I get nervous renting places as I'm super picky and want to make sure it's a really nice place. I've gotten burned on vrbo!
    Last edited by theriviera; 04-07-2018 at 10:48 AM.
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think a successful European vacation with young kids is a lot less about where you go and a lot more about how you structure your days and where you choose to stay. We've been taking our kids to Europe since they were babies (now tweens and teens) and for us, it has always worked really well to make sure we don't tackle too much in one day in terms of sights/culture, have done our research about where they can run around and play (if in a more urban environment where it isn't obvious), and stay somewhere that allows us to make some of our own meals and have enough space to spread out during downtime. And be willing to ditch plans and go with the flow if the plans aren't working.

Our kids have loved pretty much every place we've gone - we have spent more time in sunny/southern locales than northern cities, but they have loved those pretty equally. So I'd pick what you want to do and then just tailor the trip so its also fun for them.

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by marinkitty View Post
    I think a successful European vacation with young kids is a lot less about where you go and a lot more about how you structure your days and where you choose to stay. We've been taking our kids to Europe since they were babies (now tweens and teens) and for us, it has always worked really well to make sure we don't tackle too much in one day in terms of sights/culture, have done our research about where they can run around and play (if in a more urban environment where it isn't obvious), and stay somewhere that allows us to make some of our own meals and have enough space to spread out during downtime. And be willing to ditch plans and go with the flow if the plans aren't working.

Our kids have loved pretty much every place we've gone - we have spent more time in sunny/southern locales than northern cities, but they have loved those pretty equally. So I'd pick what you want to do and then just tailor the trip so its also fun for them.
    I agree with this! We currently live in Europe so we've traveled here quite a bit. We've learned that accepting what our kids can/can't handle is the key, and then you can make it work almost anywhere. We always structure our days to ensure that we know where there are parks/playgrounds and child friendly restaurants. We have chosen to skip "don't miss" places because we know they won't work well for our family (extensive museums, places where you have to be quiet for a long time, etc.) -- no regrets ... better to see some things and enjoy them than not "miss" something but miss it anyways because your kid is throwing a temper tantrum! We also research famous treats in advance so we can stop at the best places along the way.....kids are much happier to walk when it's walking to get gelato in Rome or stroopwafels in Amsterdam!

If your kids don't like walking a lot, many big European cities have great public transportation. Just research well in advance how to use it and that can save you a lot of steps! I've also found that they do much better (including with walking) when we've gotten them excited in advance about what they'll see.

You also might want to check out Center Parcs or Aquapalace. I think there's a lot of Center Parcs and a few places that have Aquapalaces (I know the one in Prauge is good!). Both are kind of like family resorts, but near big cities....may give you the chance to do some stuff in the morning, then go back to relax in the afternoon! I've never stayed at either, but know plenty of people who have used both. Oh, and another one to check out is Kinderhotels....mostly in Germany and Austria, but a few other countries too, I think.
    Lizi

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Liziz View Post
    I agree with this! We currently live in Europe so we've traveled here quite a bit. We've learned that accepting what our kids can/can't handle is the key, and then you can make it work almost anywhere. We always structure our days to ensure that we know where there are parks/playgrounds and child friendly restaurants. We have chosen to skip "don't miss" places because we know they won't work well for our family (extensive museums, places where you have to be quiet for a long time, etc.) -- no regrets ... better to see some things and enjoy them than not "miss" something but miss it anyways because your kid is throwing a temper tantrum! We also research famous treats in advance so we can stop at the best places along the way.....kids are much happier to walk when it's walking to get gelato in Rome or stroopwafels in Amsterdam!

If your kids don't like walking a lot, many big European cities have great public transportation. Just research well in advance how to use it and that can save you a lot of steps! I've also found that they do much better (including with walking) when we've gotten them excited in advance about what they'll see.

You also might want to check out Center Parcs or Aquapalace. I think there's a lot of Center Parcs and a few places that have Aquapalaces (I know the one in Prauge is good!). Both are kind of like family resorts, but near big cities....may give you the chance to do some stuff in the morning, then go back to relax in the afternoon! I've never stayed at either, but know plenty of people who have used both. Oh, and another one to check out is Kinderhotels....mostly in Germany and Austria, but a few other countries too, I think.
    Your comment about walking to get a treat is so spot on! I've started to call it a "morale boost" - churros in Sevilla, pastel de nata in Portugal, pannenkoeken in Amsterdam, ice cream pretty much anywhere. When the kids start to drag - its morale boost time - we hoof it to the nearest treat spot and it never fails to perk them right up. And usually an espresso for me as the "tour guide." There were a few days last summer when I had four kids (mine plus one) in tow as the only adult for long day trips and it was a double morale boost day!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast